New Mexico government sector lobbying
This practice is controversial because public funds are spent to lobby for an agenda not subject to direct approval by voters, and outcomes may be contrary taxpayers benefit.
The New Mexico Municipal League, to which 104 cities claim membership, actively lobbies on behalf of those member cities. The League also takes part in setting judicial precedent and authors amicus briefs. For 2010-2011, the League was following 50 pieces of legislation.
Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations
- Albuquerque Public Schools Principal Association
- New Mexico Association of Community Colleges
- New Mexico Coalition of School Administrators
- New Mexico Independent Community Colleges
- New Mexico School Boards Association
- New Mexico Association of Conservation Districts
- New Mexico Chapter American Planning Association
- New Mexico Library Association