New York Commissioner of Labor
|New York Commissioner of Labor|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$697,338,000|
|Length of term:||Serves the term coterminous with the appointing governor|
|Authority:||NY Code - Section 10|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||June 30, 2012|
|Other New York Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Comptroller • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Financial Services Superintendent • Environmental Conservation Commissioner•Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission • Insurance|
The commissioner serves as head of the Department of Labor, whose mission is "to protect workers, assist the unemployed and connect job seekers to jobs."
The office of the Commissioner of labor is established in the New York Code.
NY Code - Section 10:
|There shall continue to be in the state government a department of labor. The head of the department shall be the commissioner of labor...|
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the requirements necessary to qualify for a state executive office. That information for the New York Commissioner of Labor has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
In the event of a vacancy the governor appoints a replacement to serve until the end of the appointing governor's term.
To that end, the department:
- Enforces the State Labor Law for minimum wage, hours of work, child labor, payment of wages and wage supplements, migrant farm labor, and conditions in the garment industry
- Educates immigrant workers about their rights under the law and links them to groups that help them overcome employment barriers
- Administers and enforces the prevailing wage law that applies to public construction projects and service jobs in public buildings
- Protects employers, workers and the public from dangers at work and other health hazards
- Administers the Unemployment Insurance program that gives weekly benefits to workers who are out of work through no fault of their own
- Assists the unemployed to find jobs
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the New York Commissioner of Labor has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Department of Labor had a budget of $697,338,000 for the 2013 fiscal year.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the New York Commissioner of Labor has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "New York" + Commissioner + of + Labor
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New York Joins US Department of Labor's Worker Misclassification Crackdown - Forbes
- US Labor Dept., NY Agencies Team Up to Target Misclassification of Employees - Insurance Journal
- US Labor, NY Tackle Employees Disguised as Franchisees - Blue MauMau
- New York Teams-up with the U.S. Department of Labor to Crack Down on ... - The National Law Review
- New York Department of Labor issues new regulations on wage deductions - Lexology (registration)
- New York partners with the U.S. Department of Labor to combat worker ... - Lexology (registration)
- New York Department of Labor issues draft wage orders implementing minimum ... - Lexology (registration)
- New York partners with Labor Department to crack down on misclassification - Compensation.BLR.com
- New York Department of Labor Issues Draft Wage Orders Implementing ... - The National Law Review
- US Labor Department Recovers Over $288000 in Back Wages,... - LongIsland.com
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
New York State Department of Labor
West Averell Harriman State Office Campus
Albany, NY 12240
Toll Free: 888-469-7365
- ↑ New York Department of Labor, "About us," accessed October 30, 2011
- ↑ New York Governor's Office, "Governor Cuomo Announces Confirmations," June 20, 2012
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 FindLaw, "N.Y. LAB. LAW § 10 : NY Code - Section 10: Department of labor; commissioner of labor," accessed December 22, 2012
- ↑ FindLaw, "N.Y. LAB. LAW § 21 : NY Code - Section 21: General powers and duties of commissioner," accessed December 22, 2012
- ↑ New York Department of Labor, " About," accessed December 22, 2012
- ↑ New York State, "Enacted Budget Fiscal Plan for Fiscal Year 2013," T-163, accessed June 24, 2013