New York Secretary of State
|New York Secretary of State|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$135,839,000|
|Authority:||NY Code - Section 90|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Other New York Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Comptroller • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Financial Services Superintendent • Environmental Conservation Commissioner•Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission • Insurance|
The secretary's office includes the Office of Local Government Services, which provides training assistance to local governments in areas such as fire prevention, coastal management, and code enforcement.
The office of the Secretary of State is established in the New York Code.
NY Code - Section 90:
|There shall be in the state government a department of state. The head of the department shall be the secretary of state...|
There are no specific qualifications for this office.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the New York Secretary of State has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Secretary of State serves as the head of the Department of State. The department is tasked with a variety of duties, including:
- Manages local assistance grants and providing guidance and training to communities
- Oversees the enforcement practices of local governments in matters pertaining to building construction, fire prevention, and energy conservation
- Oversees the licensing of 29 professional occupations
- Regulates the state's not-for-profit cemeteries
- Serves as the state's top watchdog and think tank on a wide range of consumer issues
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the New York Secretary of State has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The budget for the Department of State was $135,839,000 for the 2013 fiscal year.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the New York Secretary of State has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "New York" + Secretary + of + State
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to Speak at UConn - UConn Advance (blog)
- Syrian Peace Talks Open With Vitriol, as Official Rails at Rebels - New York Times
- As Clinton finishes new memoir, the battle to define her State Department ... - Washington Post
- Washington secretary of state certifies gun initiative - KATU
- State Dept. Learned in November of Photos Said to Show Torture in Syria - New York Times
- First Read ? January 22, 2014 - City & State
- Khurshid meets US Secretary of State, takes up Khobragade issue - IBNLive
- New York State Hearing Shows Ivory Crisis Should Be Everyone's Concern - Huffington Post
- Secretary of State Kerry urges Syrian opposition to attend peace talks - New York Daily News
- Kerry Quietly Makes Priority of Climate Pact - New York Times
Department of State
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Ave,
Albany, NY 12231-0001
Phone: (518) 474-4752
Fax: (518) 474-4597
- Governor: Andrew Cuomo (D)
- Lieutenant Governor: Robert J. Duffy (D)
- Attorney General: Eric Schneiderman (D)
- Secretary of State: Cesar Perales
- Secretary of Agriculture: Darrel Aubertine
- New York Secretary of State, "About the secretary of state," accessed April 27, 2012
- FindLaw, "N.Y. EXC. LAW § 90 : NY Code - Section 90: Department of state; secretary of state," accessed December 22, 2012
- New York Department of State, " About the Department," accessed December 22, 2012
- New York State, "Enacted Budget Fiscal Plan for Fiscal Year 2013," T-168, accessed June 24, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 27, 2014