New York State Assembly District 86
|New York State Assembly District 86|
|Current incumbent||Victor Pichardo|
|Race||1.5% White, 23.4% Black, 1.8% Asian, 0.2% American Indian, 71.6% Hispanic, 0.9% Multi, 0.6% Other|
|Ethnicity||28.4% Non-Hispanic, 71.6% Hispanic|
|Voting age||70.1% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 120,826 civilians reside within New York's eighty-sixth state assembly district. New York state assembly members represent an average of 129,187 residents, as of the 2010 Census. After the 2000 Census, each member represented approximately 126,510 residents.
About the office
Article 3, Section 7 of the New York Constitution states: No person shall serve as a member of the legislature unless he or she is a citizen of the United States and has been a resident of the state of New York for five years, and, except as hereinafter otherwise prescribed, of the assembly or senate district for the twelve months immediately preceding his or her election; if elected a senator or member of assembly at the first election next ensuing after a readjustment or alteration of the senate or assembly districts becomes effective, a person, to be eligible to serve as such, must have been a resident of the county in which the senate or assembly district is contained for the twelve months immediately preceding his or her election. No member of the legislature shall, during the time for which he or she was elected, receive any civil appointment from the governor, the governor and the senate, the legislature or from any city government, to an office which shall have been created, or the emoluments whereof shall have been increased during such time.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the New York Legislature are paid $79,500/year and per diem of $61/half day and $171/full day. Per diem varies and is tied to the federal rate.
If there is a vacancy in the house, a special election must be held to fill the vacant seat. An election can be held as long the vacancy happened before April 1st in an election year. The person elected to fill the vacant seat serves for the remainder of the unexpired term.
- See also: New York State Assembly elections, 2014
Elections for the office of New York State Assembly will take place in 2014. A primary election took place September 9, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was July 10, 2014. Incumbent Victor Pichardo defeated Hector Ramirez in the Democratic primary, while Rene Santos was unopposed in the Republican primary. Jose Marte is running on the Conservative Party ticket. Pichardo is also running on the Working Families Party ticket. Pichardo, Santos and Marte will face off in the general election.
|New York State Assembly, District 86 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Victor Pichardo Incumbent||50%||1,888|
Victor Pichardo (D) won election in a special election for New York State Assembly District 86. The seat was vacant following Rep. Nelson Castro's (D) resignation amidst a bribery scandal. Pichardo defeated six others in an open primary, which took place on September 10 and defeated Rene Santos (R) and Jose Marte (L) in the special election, which took place on November 5.
|New York State Assembly, District 86, Special Election, 2013|
- See also: New York State Assembly elections, 2012
Elections for the office of New York State Assembly consisted of a primary election on September 13, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was July 12, 2012. Incumbent Nelson Castro (D) defeated Ana Sanchez (R) and Vhidiwhatie Diamond (C) in the general election. Castro ran and defeated Richard Soto in the Democratic primary. He also ran on the Working Families Party ticket. Sanchez and Diamond were unopposed in the September 13 primary elections.
|New York State Assembly, District 86, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Nelson Castro Incumbent||96.5%||23,089|
|New York State Assembly, District 86 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Nelson Castro Incumbent||84.6%||2,556|
Since 2000, candidates for New York State Assembly District 86 have raised a total of $533,288. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $24,240 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, New York State Assembly District 86|
- New York State Legislature
- New York State Senate
- New York State Assembly
- New York state legislative districts
- http://www.latfor.state.ny.us/, "NY 2010 Census Data by District," accessed October 14, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Population Distribution and Change: 2000 to 2010," accessed January 6, 2014
- www.census.gov/, "Population in 2000 of the American states," accessed January 6, 2014
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- New York State Legislature, "New York State Public Officers Law," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute § 42 (4))
- New York Legislature, "New York State Public Officers Law," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute § 38)
- New York Board of Elections, "Candidate Petition List," accessed August 8, 2014
- New York Board of Elections, "Primary results for September 9, 2014," accessed October 1, 2014
- nydailynews.com, "Gov. Cuomo opts against special election for open Bronx Assembly seat," April 26, 2013
- newyork.cbslocal.com, "State Assembly - District 86 - Dem Primary," September 10, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- vote.nyc.ny.us, "Official Democratic primary results," accessed December 11, 2013
- vote.nyc.ny.us, "Official election results," accessed December 11, 2013
- New York State Board of Elections, "2012 general election results," accessed December 6, 2013
- State of New York, State Board of Elections, "Candidate List for the September 13, 2012, State Primary Election," accessed July 31, 2014
- ABC News, "New York unofficial 2012 primary election results," accessed September 13, 2012
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
New York Supreme Court | Trial Court | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Civil Courts | County Courts | Surrogate Courts | Family Courts | Civil Courts | Court of Statewide Claims | Town Courts | Village Courts | City Civil Court | City Criminal Court | District Court Nassau & Suffolk | City Courts (Outside New York City) | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |