|Rhode Island Senate District 21|
|January 4, 2011- present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Coventry High School|
|Birthday||October 18, 1990|
|Place of birth||Providence, RI|
Kettle graduated from Coventry High School and is currently enrolled at Rhode Island College. His professional experience includes working as a dishwasher at Cracker Barrel.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Kettle served on the following committees:
|Rhode Island Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Environment & Agriculture, Secretary|
|• Housing & Municipal Government|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Kettle served on these committees:
|Rhode Island Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Environment and Agriculture|
|• Housing and Municipal Government|
Elections for the office of Rhode Island State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place September 9, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 25, 2014. Margaux Morisseau was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Nicholas Kettle was unopposed in the Republican primary. Zachary Farnum is running as an Independent candidate. Morisseau, Kettle and Farnum will face off in the general election.
Kettle won re-election in District 21. He was unopposed in the Republican primary on September 11, 2012. Scott M. Pollard was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Kettle defeated Pollard in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Rhode Island State Senate, District 21, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Nicholas Kettle Incumbent||50.7%||6,977|
|Democratic||Scott M. Pollard||49.2%||6,776|
Kettle defeated Democrat Anthony Colaluca and independent John Assalone in the November 2nd general election. Kettle was one of 95 challengers to defeat an incumbent in a 2010 state legislative primary. He defeated Leo Blais (R), who had first been elected to the seat in 1992. He was elected as the youngest serving senator in state history.
|Rhode Island State Senate, District 21, 2010|
|Rhode Island State Senate Republican Primary, District 21 Republican Primary, 2010|
|Leo Blais Incumbent||48.9%||502|
Comprehensive donor information for Nicholas Kettle is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Nicholas Kettle raised a total of $11,299 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 26, 2013.
|Nicholas Kettle's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Rhode Island State Senate, District 21||$6,650|
|2010||Rhode Island State Senate, District 21||$4,649|
|Grand Total Raised||$11,299|
2012Nicholas Kettle won re-election to the Rhode Island State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Nicholas Kettle raised a total of $6,650.
|Rhode Island State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Nicholas Kettle's campaign in 2012|
|Byrnes, Raymond A||$500|
|Byrnes, Raymond A||$250|
|Total Raised in 2012||$6,650|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Nicholas Kettle won election to the Rhode Island State Senate in 2010. During that election cycle, Nicholas Kettle raised a total of $4,649.
|Rhode Island State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Nicholas Kettle's campaign in 2010|
|Kettle, Nicolas D||$2,500|
|Kettle, Nicholas D||$739|
|Lindsay, Margaret S||$200|
|Kettle, Matthew A||$150|
|Total Raised in 2010||$4,649|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- American Civil Liberties Union of Rhode Island: 2013-2014 Voting Record
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills related to civil liberties.
- Common Cause: 2013-2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on votes on government reform.
- Rhode Island Center for Freedom and Prosperity: 2013 Session Freedom Index
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills deemed to have an effect on free-market, small-government, or constitutional principles.
- National Federation of Independent Business in New York: 2013-2014 Voting Record
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key small business issues.
- Environment Council of Rhode Island: 2011-2012 Green Report Card
- Legislators were scored based on 14 pieces of legislation, ranging from matters on clean water, to state energy policies.
- Common Cause: 2011-2012 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators were scored based on votes on government reform.
- Rhode Island Center for Freedom and Prosperity: 2012 Session Freedom Index
- Legislators were scored based on their votes on bills deemed to have an effect on free-market, small-government, or constitutional principles.
In 2014, Kettle's endorsements include the following:
- Victor Moffit - Former State Representative for District 28
- Nicholas Gorham - Former State Representative for District 40
- Kevin Breene - Former State Senator for District 41 & District 34
- Coventry Republican Town Committee
- Senate District 21 Republican Committee
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Nicholas + Kettle + Rhode + Island + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Rhode Island State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Rhode Island General Assembly
- Joint Committees
- Rhode Island state legislative districts
- Official campaign website
- Profile from the Rhode Island State Senate
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Nick Kettle on Facebook
- Nick Kettle on Twitter
- Campaign Contributions: 2012 2010
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography of Sen. Nicholas Kettle," accessed June 6, 2014
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "Candidates for Senator in General Assembly," accessed June 30, 2014
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "2014 Statewide Primary Results: Senator in General Assembly," accessed September 26, 2014
- Candidates in Upcoming Elections, "Rhode Island Secretary of State," accessed July 5, 2012
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2012 Statewide Primary Results," accessed June 6, 2014
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2012 Statewide General Election Results," accessed June 6, 2014
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2010 Statewide General Election Results," accessed June 6, 2014
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2010 Statewide Primary Results," accessed June 6, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Kettle, Nicholas," accessed July 26, 2013
- Nick Kettle for RI Senate, "Endorsements," accessed October 17, 2014
- Nick Kettle For Senate, "Who is Nicholas Kettle," accessed November 17, 2011
Leo Blais (R)
|Rhode Island State Senate District 21
| Succeeded by|