|Hawaii House of Representatives District 6|
|November 6, 2012-Present|
|November 4, 2014|
|Years in position||2|
|Per diem||$175/day off Oahu; $10/day on Oahu|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||U.S. History, University of Pennsylvania|
|Master's||Urban and Regional Planning, University of Hawaii|
|Profession||Information Systems Analyst|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Lowen served on the following committees:
|Hawaii Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Energy & Environmental Protection|
|• Ocean, Marine Resources, & Hawaiian Affairs|
|• Water & Land, Vice Chair|
Lowen's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Jobs for Our Next Generation
- Excerpt: "I am a strong advocate for building Hawaii a better economy by creating diverse opportunities based on sustainable agriculture, investment in renewable energy, planning communities where small businesses can thrive, and encouraging the development of high-tech digital media and film production industries."
- Quality Education for our Keiki
- Excerpt: "All children deserve access to a quality education. Hawaii's public school system must be streamlined, and our schools must be given the resources they need to shrink classroom sizes and get the job done."
- Growing More Food in Hawaii
- Excerpt: "I will support investment in the local farm industry and promotion of local products. Policies such as low-interest agricultural loans and crop insurance will increase local food production and keep money circulating in our local economy."
- Community Infrastructure and Planning
- Excerpt: "There are many local issues in our Kona community that must be addressed. These include ensuring that the UH campus at Palamanui and the Kona Courthouse projects move forward, that needed improvements to Kona's infrastructure are funded and implemented, and that the hard work of community members on the Community Development Plan is put to use. We must make sure our community gets its fair share of state funding to meet these goals."
- Building Liveable, Walkable Neighborhoods
- Excerpt: "Well-planned communities improve people's well-being and health, create jobs closer to home, and make the most of our natural resources. With the limits imposed by Hawaii's unique geography, we must work hard to maintain the natural beauty of our islands while also creating livable communities for our residents. Smart growth policies that support public transportation, mixed-use, walkable neighborhoods, and that limit continued sprawl will help to create vibrant urban areas while preserving open space for visitors and future generations to enjoy."
Elections for the office of Hawaii House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place August 9, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014. Incumbent Nicole Lowen defeated Kalei Akaka in the Democratic primary, while Kelly Valenzuela defeated Roy Ebert in the Republican primary. Lowen will face Valenzuela in the general election.
|Hawaii House of Representatives, District 6 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Nicole Lowen Incumbent||62.6%||2,128|
|Hawaii House of Representatives, District 6 Republican Primary, 2014|
Lowen won election in the 2012 election for Hawaii House of Representatives District 6. Lowen defeated Fred Housel, Bucky Leslie and Kalei Akaka in the August 11 Democratic primary and defeated Roy Ebert (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Hawaii House of Representatives, District 6, General Election, 2012|
|Hawaii House of Representatives, District 6 Democratic Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Lowen is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Lowen raised a total of $42,902 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 26, 2013.
|Nicole Lowen's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Hawaii State House, District 6||$42,902|
|Grand Total Raised||$42,902|
2012Lowen won election to the Hawaii House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Lowen raised a total of $42,902.
|Hawaii House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Nicole Lowen's campaign in 2012|
|Friends of Sylvia Luke||$2,000|
|Hawaii State AFL-CIO||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$42,902|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Nicole + Lowen + Hawaii + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Hawaii House of Representatives
- Hawaii House Committees
- Hawaii House of Representatives District 6
- Hawaii State Legislature
- Profile from the Hawaii House of Representatives
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2012
- Nicole Lowen, "Issues," September 26, 2012
- Hawaii Secretary of State, "Official primary candidate list," accessed June 6, 2014
- Hawaii Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed August 25, 2014
- civilbeat.com, " Unofficial 2012 Primary election candidate list," accessed March 24, 2014
- Hawaii Secretary of State, "Official 2012 Primary election results," accessed March 24, 2014
- Hawaii Secretary of State, "Official 2012 General election results," accessed March 24, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Lowen, Nicole," accessed June 26, 2013
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed August 4, 2014
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
Denny Coffman (D)
|Hawaii House of Representatives District 6
| Succeeded by|