|Wisconsin State Senate, District 6|
|January 7, 2013 – present|
|January 2, 2017|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|District 2-Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors|
|Bachelor's||University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Harris served on the following committees:
|Wisconsin Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Government Operations, Public Works, and Telecommunications|
|• Judiciary and Labor|
|• Administrative Rules|
Harris's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Job Creation:
- "Invest in Public Work Projects Like High Speed Rail"
- "I will Support “Buy Wisconsin” Legislation"
- "Repeal Act 10!"
- Education: "As Governor, Scott Walker has cut funds from public education. As a result almost 75% of school districts have laid off teachers in the last year, almost 1500 teachers have lost their jobs. I believe this is wrong and I will work to restore these funds so that we can hire more teachers."
- Women's Health: "Women are yet another target of Scott Walker. He has cut funds for programs that provide services to victims of sexual assault by more than 40%. Furthermore, Walker reduced the budget for breast and cervical cancer screenings. These are medical tests that save women’s lives! We must find the money to fund these important medical care."
- Choice: "I am 100% pro-choice."
- Marriage Equality: "I favor full marriage equality for members of the LGBT community in addition to full civil rights in employment protection and fair housing."
- See also: Wisconsin State Senate elections, 2012
Harris won election in the 2012 election for Wisconsin State Senate, District 6. Harris defeated five challengers - Elizabeth Coggs, Michael Bonds, Michael Mayo, Allyn Monroe Swan, and Delta Triplett - in the August 14th Democratic primary and was unopposed in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Wisconsin State Senate, District 6, General Election, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Harris is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Harris raised a total of $34,003 during that time period. This information was last updated on May 31, 2013.
|Nikiya Harris's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Wisconsin State Senate, District 12||$34,003|
|Grand Total Raised||$34,003|
2012Harris won election to the Wisconsin State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Harris raised a total of $34,003.
|Wisconsin State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Nikiya Harris's campaign in 2012|
|Harris, Nikiya Q||$3,402|
|Service Employees Local 150||$1,000|
|Wisconsin Federation of Nurses & Health Professionals||$1,000|
|Seiu Healthcare Wisconsin||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$34,003|
|Source:Follow the Money|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Nikiya + Harris + Wisconsin + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Wisconsin State Legislature
- Wisconsin State Senate
- Wisconsin State Senate Committees
- Wisconsin Joint Committees
- Wisconsin state legislative districts
- Office Website
- Profile from Open States
- Harris on Facebook
- Official Campaign Website
- Wisconsin Vote.org
- Campaign Contributions: 2012
- Associated Press Election Results, "Wisconsin State Senate Primary Results 2012," August 14, 2012
- Government Accountability Board, "2012 Fall Partisan Primary, accessed May 5, 2014
- Government Accountability Board, "2012 Fall General Election," accessed May 5, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Harris, Nikiya," accessed May 31, 2013
Spencer Coggs (D)
|Wisconsin State Senate District 6
| Succeeded by|