|Wisconsin State Senate, District 6|
|January 7, 2013 – present|
|January 2, 2017|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|District 2-Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors|
|Bachelor's||University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee|
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Harris served on the following committees:
|Wisconsin Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Education Reform and Government Operations|
|• Insurance, Housing, and Trade|
|• Review of Administrative Rules|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Harris served on the following committees:
|Wisconsin Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Government Operations, Public Works, and Telecommunications|
|• Judiciary and Labor|
|• Administrative Rules|
Harris's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Job Creation:
- "Invest in Public Work Projects Like High Speed Rail"
- "I will Support “Buy Wisconsin” Legislation"
- "Repeal Act 10!"
- Education: "As Governor, Scott Walker has cut funds from public education. As a result almost 75% of school districts have laid off teachers in the last year, almost 1500 teachers have lost their jobs. I believe this is wrong and I will work to restore these funds so that we can hire more teachers."
- Women's Health: "Women are yet another target of Scott Walker. He has cut funds for programs that provide services to victims of sexual assault by more than 40%. Furthermore, Walker reduced the budget for breast and cervical cancer screenings. These are medical tests that save women’s lives! We must find the money to fund these important medical care."
- Choice: "I am 100% pro-choice."
- Marriage Equality: "I favor full marriage equality for members of the LGBT community in addition to full civil rights in employment protection and fair housing."
- See also: Wisconsin State Senate elections, 2012
Harris won election in the 2012 election for Wisconsin State Senate, District 6. Harris defeated five challengers - Elizabeth Coggs, Michael Bonds, Michael Mayo, Allyn Monroe Swan, and Delta Triplett - in the August 14th Democratic primary and was unopposed in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Wisconsin State Senate, District 6, General Election, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Harris is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Harris raised a total of $34,003 during that time period. This information was last updated on May 31, 2013.
|Nikiya Harris's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Wisconsin State Senate, District 12||$34,003|
|Grand Total Raised||$34,003|
2012Harris won election to the Wisconsin State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Harris raised a total of $34,003.
|Wisconsin State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Nikiya Harris's campaign in 2012|
|Harris, Nikiya Q||$3,402|
|Service Employees Local 150||$1,000|
|Wisconsin Federation of Nurses & Health Professionals||$1,000|
|Seiu Healthcare Wisconsin||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$34,003|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Wisconsin State Legislature was in session from January 14 through June 4.
- Legislators are scored on their stances on voting, money in politics and democracy reform legislation.
- Legislators are scored on "how well [their votes] represented the priorities of the MMAC."
- Legislators are scored on whether they voted for or against NPCW's position.
- Legislators are scored on whether they voted for or against the Wisconsin AFL-CIO's position.
- Legislators are scored on their stances on conservation issues.
- Legislators are scored on their votes on legislation WMC deemed as "most important issues for the business community."
- Legislators are scored on their votes on legislation that "impact Wisconsin's law enforcement community."
- Legislators are scored on their votes on environmental bills.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Nikiya + Harris + Wisconsin + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Wisconsin State Legislature
- Wisconsin State Senate
- Wisconsin State Senate Committees
- Wisconsin Joint Committees
- Wisconsin state legislative districts
- Office Website
- Profile from Open States
- Harris on Facebook
- Official Campaign Website
- Wisconsin Vote.org
- Campaign Contributions: 2012
- Associated Press Election Results, "Wisconsin State Senate Primary Results 2012," August 14, 2012
- Government Accountability Board, "2012 Fall Partisan Primary," accessed May 5, 2014
- Government Accountability Board, "2012 Fall General Election," accessed May 5, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Harris, Nikiya," accessed May 31, 2013
Spencer Coggs (D)
|Wisconsin State Senate District 6
| Succeeded by|