|New Jersey State Senate, District 5|
|December 15, 2014 - present|
|Years in position||1|
|New Jersey General Assembly, District 5|
|1995 - 2010|
|Bachelor's||University of Puerto Rico|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1981-1987|
|Profession||Community Development Specialist|
Cruz-Perez will hold the seat until November 2015, when a special election will be held to determine who will complete the final two years of Norcross' term.
She served in the New Jersey General Assembly, representing District 5 from 1995 to 2010. While in the General Assembly, she served as Deputy Majority Leader from 2008 to 2010.
Cruz-Perez earned her B.A. in Political Science from the University of Puerto Rico. Her professional experience includes working as a Community Development Specialist for the Camden County Improvement Authority. She served as a Sergeant in the United States Army from 1981 to 1987.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Cruz-Perez served on the following committees:
|New Jersey Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Economic Growth, Vice-Chair|
|• Public Schools|
|• Military and Veterans' Affairs|
Cruz-Perez has refused to answer the 2007 National Political Awareness Test. She was asked by national leaders of both major parties. The test provides citizens with candidates positions on major issues.
- A778 Establishes Commission on Women Veterans.
- A979 Prohibits sale of tobacco products in vending machines and establishes requirements for retail sales of tobacco.
- A2518 "New Jersey G.I. Bill;" provides higher education benefits to New Jersey veterans.
- A3365 Establishes Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) program.
Cruz-Perez and Joseph Roberts, Jr. (D) won re-election to New Jersey General Assembly District 5 in 2007. They defeated Edward Torres (R), Johnathan Mangel (R), Richard Giovanoni (G) and Mark Heacock (G) in the November 6 general election.
|New Jersey Assembly General Election, District 5 (2007)|
|Joseph Roberts, Jr. (D)||17,554|
|Nilsa Cruz-Perez (D)||15,978|
|Edward Torres (R)||9,136|
|Johnathan Mangel (R)||9,070|
|Richard Giovanoni (G)||1,419|
|Mark Heacock (G)||1,381|
Campaign donorsNilsa Cruz-Perez won re-election to the New Jersey General Assembly in 2007. During that election cycle, Nilsa Cruz-Perez raised a total of $251,667.
|New Jersey General Assembly 2007 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Nilsa Cruz-Perez's campaign in 2007|
|NJ State Laborers/LIUNA||$16,400|
|NJ Assoc of Realtors||$11,200|
|NJ Builders Assoc/Builders PAC||$9,200|
|NJ Regional Council of Carpenters/UBC||$8,200|
|NJ Regular Council of Carpenters PEC||$8,200|
|Total Raised in 2007||$251,667|
|Source: Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term ""Nilsa + Cruz-Perez" + New Jersey + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New Jersey State Senate
- Senate Committees
- New Jersey State Legislature
- Joint Committees
- New Jersey state legislative districts
- Profile from the New Jersey State Senate
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2007, 2005, 2003, 2001, 1999
- Philly.com, "Cruz-Perez sworn in to New Jersey state Senate seat," December 15, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography of Sen. Cruz-Perez," accessed December 16, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Assemblywoman Cruz-Perez's Issue Positions," accessed December 16, 2014
- New Jersey State Legislature, "Bills Sponsored by Senators and Representatives," accessed April 10, 2014
Donald Norcross (D)
|New Jersey Senate, District 5
December 15, 2014-present
| Succeeded by|
|New Jersey Assembly District 5
| Succeeded by|
Donald Norcross (D)