Norman Public Schools elections (2014)
Method of election
Norman Public Schools
Cleveland County, Oklahoma ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Oklahoma
One seat on the Norman Public Schools Board of Education was up for general election on February 11, 2014. The board canceled the election as newcomer Chad Vice was the only candidate to file for the Office 4 seat.
About the district
- See also: Norman Public Schools, Oklahoma
Norman outperformed in comparison to the rest of Oklahoma in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 43.4% of Norman residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 23.2% for Oklahoma as a whole. The median household income in Norman was $48,248 compared to $44,891 for the state of Oklahoma. The poverty rate in Norman was 17.6% compared to 16.6% for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Board of Education consists of five members elected by geographic district to five-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election was scheduled for February 11, 2014. There is one seat up for election every February.
Candidates began to file affidavits of candidacy on December 2, 2013. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was December 4, 2013 and the deadline to contest a candidacy was December 6, 2013.
- Chad Vice
- Managing partner, Havenbrook Funeral Home
Vice was the only candidate to file for the Office 4 seat, leading to the cancellation of the election.
No candidate received an endorsement in this election.
No contributions or expenditures were reported during the election, according to the Oklahoma Ethics Commission
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
|December 2, 2013||First day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|December 4, 2013||Last day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|December 6, 2013||Last day to contest a candidacy|
|February 1, 2014||Last day to file first campaign finance report|
|February 11, 2014||Election day|
|March 23, 2014||Last day to file second campaign finance report|
|April 1, 2014||Runoff election (if necessary)|
|August 21, 2014||Last day to file final campaign finance report|
Additional elections on the ballot
District residents voted for two propositions on the February 11, 2014 ballot. Proposition 1 requested a bond issuance of $122,500,000 for school construction and building improvements throughout the district. Proposition 2 requested a bond issuance of $3,500,000 to acquire vehicles for district use. Voters overwhelmingly approved both ballot measures.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Norman + Public + Schools + Oklahoma"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Norman Public Schools, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Cleveland County, Oklahoma ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Oklahoma
- Election preview: 2014 school board elections start quietly in Oklahoma
- Post election:Oklahoma school board elections see low turnout, most uncontested
- United States Census Bureau, "Norman, Oklahoma," accessed January 15, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 15, 2014
- Oklahoma, "MESA - Current Registration Statistics by County," accessed January 15, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Moore Public Schools, "School Board," accessed January 15, 2014
- Oklahoma, "2014 Instructions for Filing for Annual School Elections," accessed January 15, 2014
- Oklahoma Ethics Commission, "Candidate Information," accessed March 5, 2014
- Oklahoma, "Generic Calendar for Filing Campaign Contributions and Expenditure Reports(C-1's)," accessed January 15, 2014
- Cleveland County Election Board, "Norman School Ballot-Sample," accessed January 15, 2014 (dead link)
- Oklahoma Secretary of State, "Annual School Election," accessed February 12, 2014
|2014 Norman Public Schools Elections|
|Election date:||February 11, 2014|
|Candidates:||Office 4: • Chad Vice|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|