North Dakota 1940 ballot measures
- Three of the measures were legislatively-referred constitutional amendments.
- Three of the measures were initiated constitutional amendments.
- Seven of the measures were initiated state statutes.
- Six of the measures were approved and seven were defeated.
On the ballot
|County Government Referendum||Local Gov't||Changes state legislature power in organization and administration of counties and county governments||
|Direct Democracy Referendum||Direct Democracy||Requires 15,000 signatures for both initiated and referred measures||
|Recall Referendum||Recall||Changes recall petitioning and ballot procedures||
|Public Service Commission Initiative||Admin of Gov't||Changes the name of state Board of Railroad Commissioners to Public Service Commission||
|Highway Tax Initiative||Taxes||Allocates highway user taxes to defray cost of construction and maintenance of highways||
|CISS||Educational Funding Initiative||Education||Reduces the state's per people payment to schools and increases the emergency funds for schools in distress||
|CISS||School Funding Initiative 2||Education||Reduces the state's per people payment to schools regardless of need and increasing the emergency funds for schools in distress||
|CISS||Sales Tax for Schools Initiative||Taxes||Earmarking sales tax revenues--7/12ths for the school equalization fund and 5/12ths for the state welfare fund||
|CISS||School Funding Initiative||Education||Increasing the funds for financially distressed schools||
|CISS||Board of Finance Initiative||Admin of Gov't||Creates a state Board of Finance and Administration to handle all trust funds||
|CISS||Property Tax Classifications Initiative||Taxes||Creates three classes of property for tax purposes||
|CISS||Tax Abatement Initiative||Taxes||Allows the abatement of past, present and future taxes based on excessive valuation||
|Graduated Land Tax Initiative||Taxes||Creates a graduated land tax with a homestead exception of $5,000 for legal owner-resident farmers||
- 1940 ballot measures
- List of North Dakota ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in North Dakota
- Mouse River Farmers Press, "Constitutional Amendments, Referred and Initiated Measures," June 20, 1940
- Mouse River Farmers Press, "Constitutional Amendment and Initiated Measures," October 31, 1940
- List of North Dakota ballot initiatives
- North Dakota Secretary of State, Archived Election Results