North Dakota Abortion Initiative, Measure 1 (1972)
The North Dakota Abortion Initiative, also known as Measure 1, was on the November 7, 1972 ballot in North Dakota as an initiated state statute, where it was defeated.The measure would have allowed physicians to terminate pregnancies within the following criteria:
- The gestation was not more than 20 weeks.
- The woman had consented.
- The woman was 18 years old or more.
- The woman's husband or legal guardian had consented.
- The woman had resided in the state for at least 90 days prior to the date of termination.
- The abortion was performed in a hospital accredited by the Joint Commission on accreditation of Hospitals or at a medical facility approved for that purpose by the State Department of Health.
- No hospital or person could be placed under duty to participate in the termination.
- No one could be discriminated against in employment or professional privileges because of objecting to participate.
|North Dakota Measure 1 (1972)|
Election results via: Legislative Manual, Official Vote of North Dakota General Election, 1972
Text of measure
- North Dakota 1972 ballot measures
- 1972 ballot measures
- List of North Dakota ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in North Dakota
- North Dakota Secretary of State, Archived Election Results
- Mouse River Farmers Press, Sample Ballot, August 24, 1972
- North Dakota Secretary of State Archived Election Results, "General Election Results - 1972," accessed March 20, 2014
- Initiative and Referendum Institute, "North Dakota Statewide Initiatives," accessed March 20, 2014
- Mouse River Farmers Press, "Sample Ballot, August 24, 1972," accessed March 20, 2014
State of North Dakota
List of North Dakota ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Game and Fish | Commissioner of Labor | Public Service Commission |
|historical ballot measure article requires that the text of the measure be added to the page.|