North Dakota Captive Hunting Petition (2008)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
|Voting on the|
Treatment of Animals
|Not on ballot|
The measure will:
- Eliminate canned shooting of captive big-game species inside escape-proof fences for fees.
- Same for exotic non-native mammals, (ex. Russian Wild Boar).
- Eliminate computer-controlled remotely fired weapons for canned shooting.
If prosecuted of the crime a person would be guilty of a class A misdemeanor. An exception is provided in the proposed law for a government employee or agent to control an animal population, to prevent or control diseases, or when government action is otherwise require or authorized by law.
Barnes County Wildlife Federation has also endorsed the measure.
Wayne Laaveg, of Park River, the president of the North Dakota Elk Growers, said the state has helped finance development of game preserves. "For somebody else to come in and say, 'Well, we don't like it, so we're going to take it completely away from you, and if you go totally broke and get kicked off your land, well, tough luck' ... that is completely wrong," Laaveg said.
Supporters of the initiative turned in 12,964 signatures on Aug. 5, 2008, to the North Dakota Secretary of State. To qualify the initiative for the November 2008 ballot in North Dakota, 12,844 valid signatures are needed.
A cushion of only 120 signatures is far from a safe bet, according to Roger Kaseman, initiative campaign chairman. "It's going to be nail-biting time," Kaseman said. "We'll just wait and hope for the best."
On August 11, the Secretary of State's office announced that the measure had failed. They disqualified 164 signatures.
- North Dakota 2008 Initiatives
- Campaign finance requirements for North Dakota ballot measures
- North Dakota Initiative and Referendum Law
- North Dakota signature requirements
- Petition drive deadlines in 2008
- ↑ Captive Hunting Ballot Language
- ↑ North Dakota Hunters for Fair Chase
- ↑ Initiated measure addresses fair chase hunting in the state Dickinson Press, Nov. 25, 2007
- ↑ 'Captive hunting' measure approved for circulation, KX Net, Aug. 27, 2007
- ↑ Proposed measure would ban 'captive hunting' practices, Fishing Buddies, Aug. 16, 2007
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Forbes: "ND worker comp agency revamp may be on the ballot," Aug. 6, 2008
- ↑ Captive hunting ban fails to get on ballot