North Dakota School Year Begins After Labor Day Initiative, Measure 8 (2014)
The North Dakota School Year Begins After Labor Day Initiative, Measure 8 is on the November 4, 2014 ballot in North Dakota as an initiated state statute. The measure, upon voter approval, would mandate that public school classes begin after Labor Day.
Text of measure
The official ballot text is as follows:
This initiated measure would amend section 15.1-06-03 of the North Dakota Century Code to require school classes to begin after Labor Day.
YES - means you approve the measure summarized above.
NO - means you reject the measure summarized above.
Start ND School after Labor Day is leading the campaign in support of the measure.
Start ND School after Labor Day provided a frequently asked questions page on their website. The group outlines a number of supporting arguments and rebuttals on the page:
|“||Why are we doing this? What is our purpose?
We are a group of parents who feel that schools should resume after the Labor Day holiday. We would like our summer break to include some of the best weather that N.D. has to offer. The thought of having our kids go to school in the middle of August with temperatures in the 90's does not provide a healthy learning environment.
How will this affect sporting schedules?
Does this mean that school will not dismiss until mid June?
Will this affect early standardized test scores?
Aren't some North Dakota schools starting after Labor Day?
—Start ND School after Labor Day
Path to the ballot
The initiative's supporters needed to collect a minimum of 13,452 valid signatures by August 6, 2014. On August 6, 2014, supporters turned in approximately 15,781 signatures to the North Dakota Secretary of State. Of the 15,781 signatures turned in, 14,907 were deemed valid. The initiative was certified the ballot on September 5, 2014.
- North Dakota 2014 ballot measures
- 2014 ballot measures
- Laws governing the initiative process in North Dakota
- North Dakota Secretary of State, "Initiative Petition," accessed January 15, 2014
- WDAY 6, "Petition to start North Dakota schools after Labor Day OK'd," September 20, 2013
- The Dickinson Press, "Sponsors turn in 16,500 signatures for ballot measure on later school start," August 6, 2014
- North Dakota Secretary of State, "Official Ballot Language for Measures Appearing on the Election Ballot," accessed September 4, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Start ND School after Labor Day, "Homepage," accessed September 9, 2014
- Start ND School after Labor Day, "FAQ," accessed September 12, 2014
- North Dakota Secretary of State, "Time Line for Statutory Initiative Relating to School Classes Beginning After Labor Day," accessed January 15, 2014
- The Bismarck Tribune, "Backers of later school start in North Dakota to file signatures for ballot measure," August 5, 2014
- Bismarck Tribune, "Two more measures OK'd for Nov. ballot," September 6, 2014
State of North Dakota
List of North Dakota ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Game and Fish | Commissioner of Labor | Public Service Commission |