North Dakota Treasurer
|North Dakota Treasurer|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2011-2013 FY Budget:||$26,705,390|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Article V, Section 2|
|Next election:||November 8, 2016|
|Last election:||November 6, 2012|
|Other North Dakota Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission • Tax Commissioner|
The current officeholder is Kelly Schmidt. She was first elected in 2004 and re-elected in 2008 and 2012. Her current term expires in 2016.
The qualified electors of the state at the times and places of choosing members of the legislative assembly shall choose a governor, lieutenant governor, agriculture commissioner, attorney general, auditor, insurance commissioner, three public service commissioners, secretary of state, superintendent of public instruction, tax commissioner, and treasurer. ...
Article V, Section 4 of the North Dakota Constitution establishes the qualifications to hold the office of treasurer:
|To be eligible to hold an elective office established by this article, a person must be a qualified elector of this state, must be at least twenty-five years of age on the day of the election, and must have been a resident of this state for the five years preceding election to office. To be eligible to hold the office of governor or lieutenant governor, a person must be at least thirty years old on the day of the election. The attorney general must be licensed to practice law in this state.|
- qualified North Dakota voter
- at least 25 years old
- a resident of North Dakota for at least the five preceding years
Article V, Section 8 addresses vacancies in state executive offices. In the event of a vacancy, the governor nominates a successor who must be confirmed by the state senate. Once confirmed, the individual serves the remainder of the unexpired term.
- ensure the legality of all deposits to and withdrawals from the state treasury, and record all transactions
- maintain a record of all revenues and expenditures of state agencies
- provide a report, within 90 days of the beginning of each fiscal year, to the budget section of the legislative assembly
- provide a biennial report to the governor and secretary of state
- make all books and records available for inspection at all times by the governor, the state auditor, the commissioner of financial institutions, the office of management and budget, and any committee appointed to examine them by either house of the legislative assembly
- work to provide public access to financial education tools
Additionally, the treasurer serves on the Board of University and School Lands, the State Board of Equalization, the State Historical Board, the State Investment Board, the Teacher's Fund for Retirement Board, and the State Canvassing Board.
The treasurer in North Dakota is popularly elected every four years, in presidential election years. For North Dakota, 2016, 2020 and 2024 are all treasurer election years. The term of office is four years.
To view the electoral history dating back to 2000 for the office of North Dakota Treasurer, Click [show] to expand the section.
The treasurer's office is separated into five divisions:
- Tax Distributions
- Cash Management
- See also: North Dakota state budget and finances
The budget for the Treasurer's office in Fiscal Year 2011-2013 was $26,705,390.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
The treasurer is legally entitled to an annual salary in accordance with Title 54 of the North Dakota Century Code. Taking into account value adjustments, the statute contains compensation figures for the previous and current year only. The treasurer's pay may not be increased or diminished effective during the current term.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the North Dakota Treasurer has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term North + Dakota + State + Treasurer
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
North Dakota State Treasurer
600 E Boulevard Ave, Dept 120
Bismarck , ND 58505-0660
Phone: (701) 328-2643
Fax: (701) 328-3002
- North Dakota Secretary of State Archived Election Results, "Primary Election Results - 1964," accessed March 18, 2014
- North Dakota Office of the Treasurer, "About the office," accessed July 12, 2011
- State of North Dakota, "Legislative Appropriations 2011-2013 Biennium," accessed April 15, 2013
- North Dakota Century Code "Treasurer-Title 54 Chapter 11," accessed February 18, 2015
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed December 4, 2014
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 27, 2014