North Dakota Unicameral or Bicameral Legislature, Alternate Proposition 1 (1972)
The North Dakota Unicameral or Bicameral Legislature Proposition, also known as Alternate Proposition 1, was on the April 28, 1972 ballot in North Dakota as an automatic ballot referral, where Alternate Proposition 1A approved and Alternate Proposition 1B was defeated. The measure chose a bicameral state legislature over a unicameral one.
For this measure to have taken effect, the new constitution on the same ballot also had to be approved. Since it was not, this measure became moot.
|North Dakota Alternate Proposition 1 (1972)|
|Unicameral Proposition 1A||109,146||69.36%|
|Bicameral Proposition 1B||48,217||30.64%|
Election results via: Legislative Manual, Official Vote of North Dakota Special Election, 1972
Text of measure
Alternate Proposition 1A provided for a bicameral state legislature. Alternative Proposition 1B would have provided for a unicameral state legislature.
This measure was part of a series of propositions from a constitutional convention called for in 1970. This included a vote on a full draft of a new constitution. Voters were given the opportunity to vote on four special propositions apart from the vote on the new constitution on the April 28, 1972 ballot. The four propositions were voted on individually and could become part of the constitution only if the proposition was approved and the new constitution adopted by the voters. Since the new constitution was not approved, the approval or defeated of these measures became moot.
The other propositions on the April 28, 1970 ballot included the following:
- North Dakota Constitution, Main Proposition (1972)
- North Dakota Direct Democracy Signature Requirements, Alternate Proposition 2 (1972)
- North Dakota Age of Adulthood, Alternate Proposition 3 (1972)
- North Dakota Legislative Authority on Lotteries, Alternate Proposition 4 (1972)
- North Dakota 1972 ballot measures
- 1972 ballot measures
- List of North Dakota ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in North Dakota
- North Dakota Secretary of State, Archived Election Results
- State Historical Society of North Dakota, CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION, 1971-1972
- North Dakota Secretary of State Archived Election Results, "Special Election Results - 1972," accessed March 20, 2014
- State Historical Society of North Dakota, "CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION, 1971-1972," accessed March 20, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
State of North Dakota
List of North Dakota ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Game and Fish | Commissioner of Labor | Public Service Commission |
|historical ballot measure article requires that the text of the measure be added to the page.|