North Kansas City Schools, Missouri
|North Kansas City Schools|
|North Kansas City, Missouri|
|Superintendent:||Todd E. White|
|Number of schools:||30|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Joe Jacobs|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in North Kansas City Schools
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Issues
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 Contact information
- 11 See also
- 12 External links
- 13 References
About the districtClay County, Missouri. The county seat of Clay County is Liberty. The county's population was 221,939 according to the 2010 U.S. Census.
Clay County outperforms the rest of Missouri in terms of higher education attainment, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 30.6% of Clay County residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 25.8% rate for the state of Missouri. Clay County had a median income of $60,560 in 2010 compared to $47,333 for Missouri. The poverty rate for Clay County was 8.3% in 2010 compared to a 15.0% rate for the rest of the state.
|Racial Demographics, 2010|
|Race||Clay County (%)||Missouri (%)|
|Black or African American||5.7||11.6|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||0.6||0.5|
|Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander||0.3||0.1|
|Two or More Races||2.4||2.1|
|Hispanic or Latino||6.2||3.5|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current superintendent of North Kansas City Schools is Todd White, who was appointed to the position in July 2008. He had previously been serving as the district's deputy superintendent.
The North Kansas City School Board consists of seven members who are elected at-large to three-year terms.
|North Kansas City School Board|
|Terry Ward||Vice President||2016|
|Dr. Chip Luerding||Member||2015|
School board elections
- See also: North Kansas City elections (2014)
Members of the North Kansas City School Board are elected at-large to three-year terms. Two seats were up for election in April 2013; Board Vice President Terry Ward and member Terry Stone were elected to the board. Two seats will be on the ballot on April 8, 2014 and three seats in April 2015.
North Kansas City Schools publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teachers in North Kansas City Schools earn annual salaries based on years on the job as well as educational achievement. The salary schedule accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table details the salary schedule for the 2013-2014 school year:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
|BA or Year 1||37,718||-|
|BA + 15 or Year 2||38,242||41,909|
|MA or Year 3||38,504||50,712|
|MA or Year 4||38,504||50,712|
|MA + 8 or Year 5||40,842||51,960|
|MA + 16||41,976||53,526|
|MA + 24||43,111||55,063|
|MA + 32||44,354||57,725|
|MA + 40||45,602||60,477|
|MA + 48 or Doctorate||48,000||75,938|
Schools in North Kansas City Schools
North Kansas City Schools serves 18,674 students, as of 2011-2012 enrollment data. The district experienced a 6.4% increase in enrollment between 2007 and 2012. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2007 and 2012:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
North Kansas City Schools operates 30 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|North Kansas City Schools|
|Antioch Middle School|
|Bell Prairie Elementary School|
|Briarcliff Elementary School|
|Chapel Hill Elementary School|
|Chouteau Elementary School|
|Clardy Elementary School|
|Crestview Elementary School|
|Davidson Elementary School|
|Eastgate Middle School|
|Fox Hill Elementary School|
|Gashland Elementary School|
|Gracemor Elementary School|
|Lakewood Elementary School|
|Linden West Elementary School|
|Maplewood Elementary School|
|Maple Park Middle School|
|Meadowbrook Elementary School|
|Nashua Elementary School|
|New Mark Middle School|
|Northgate Middle School|
|Northview Elementary School|
|North Kansas City High School|
|Oakwood Manor Elementary School|
|Oak Park High School|
|Ravenwood Elementary School|
|Staley High School|
|Topping Elementary School|
|West Englewood Elementary School|
|Winnetonka High School|
|Winnwood Elementary School|
For the 2012-2013 school year, North Kansas City Schools students earned an average Missouri Assessment Program index score of 340.4. Students scored highest in science with an index score of 356.5, but they scored lowest in social studies with an index score of 310.2. The district's average MAP index score ranked 295 out of the 469 Missouri school districts that reported scores for all four tested subject areas.
In November 2013, two North Kansas City elementary schools opted to implement year-round school in order to see greater achievement gains. Rather than getting a three-month summer break, students will get a few week break in May and July; the implementation process could begin as early as 2015. North Kansas City Schools will be the only district in Missouri to have year-round school.
|Transparency grading process|
Last rated on March 26, 2012.
- Budget documents are available, and tax details are provided within the documents.
- Meeting calendars and minutes are available.
- Elected officials' contact information is posted.
- An administrative staff directory is posted.
- Open and awarded bids are listed.
- Academic reports are available.
- Audits are not posted.
- Information is not provided on how to make a public records request.
- Certification and background check details are not posted.
- School board elections portal
- North Kansas City Schools elections (2014)
- Missouri school districts
- List of school districts in Missouri
- North Kansas City Schools, "2013-2014 Budget," accessed December 2, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Clay County," accessed February 3, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Jonathon Braden, Columbia Tribune, "Chase hired for part-time schools post," January 22, 2009
- North Kansas City Schools, "Board Members," accessed February 4, 2014
- North Kansas City Schools, "2013-2014 Teacher Salary Schedule," accessed February 4, 2014
- Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, "K-12 Enrollment: North Kansas City Schools," accessed February 3, 2014
- North Kansas City Schools, "Schools," accessed February 4, 2014
- Missouri Department of Elementary & Secondary Education, "State Assessment," accessed July 8, 2014
- Brendaliss Gonzalez, Action News, "North Kansas City School District considers idea of year-round schooling," November 18, 2013
- Meeting Calendar
- Meeting Minutes
- Board Members
- Staff Directory
- Bid Results
- Bid Opportunities
- School Report Card