For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
North Penn School District, Pennsylvania
|North Penn School District|
|Superintendent:||Curtis R. Dietrich|
|Number of schools:||18|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School Board Members
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in North Penn
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Issues
- 9 Website Evaluation
- 10 Contact information
- 11 See also
- 12 External links
- 13 References
About the district
The county outperforms the state averages in education and median household income. According to the 2010 Census, the percentage of residents with a high school degree (92.9%) is higher than the state of Pennsylvania (87.9%) and the percentage of residents over 25 with a bachelor's degree or higher is also higher in Montgomery County (44.4%) compared to the state overall (26.7%). The median household income in Montgomery County is $78,446 compared to Pennsylvania's statewide median of $51,651.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
Curtis R. Dietrich is the superintendent of North Penn School District. Dietrich began in North Penn School District in 2006 as assistant superintendent and became superintendent in February of 2010. In 2013, the school board unanimously approved extending Dietrich's contract another five years until June 30, 2017. His contract was originally set to expire on June 30, 2013.
School Board Members
The North Penn School District school board is composed of nine member serving four year terms. The current members are:
|North Penn School District|
|Timothy S. Kerr||At-Large||2017|
School board elections
Members of the North Penn School District are elected to four-year terms. Each election is held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of odd-numbered years. Five are up for election in November 2015 and four are up for election in November 2017.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Average teacher salary in North Peen School District
|Grade Level||Average||10th percentile||25th percentile||Median||75th percentile||90th percentile|
Schools in North Penn
North Penn School District serves 12,657 students in 18 schools. The district has maintained consistent enrollment.
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
North Penn School District Operates 18 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|North Penn School District|
|A. M. Kulp Elementary|
|Bridle Path Elementary|
|General Nash Elementary|
|Gwyn Nor Elementary|
|Gwynedd Square Elementary|
|North Penn High School|
|North Wales Elementary|
|Oak Park Elementary|
|Pennbrook Middle School|
|Penndale Middle School|
|Pennfield Middle School|
|Walton Farm Elementary|
|York Avenue Elementary|
Adequate Yearly Progress
Academic performance for the district is available via Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) reports. These reports are measurements defined by the United States federal No Child Left Behind Act that allow the U.S. Department of Education to determine how every public school and school district in the country is performing academically according to results on standardized tests. AYP in Pennsylvania measures student results for three indicators: attendance (for schools without a high school graduating class) or graduation rate (for schools with a high school graduating class), academic performance, and test participation. In order to be proficient in attendance, schools much achieve a 90% attendance rate or meet a target set in the previous year. The graduation rate measure has a goal of 85%, or a 10% reduction of the difference between the previous year's graduation rate and 85%. For academic performance, the state goals for the 2011-2012 school year were 78% of students scoring at proficient or higher in mathematics and 81% of students scoring at proficient or higher in reading. For test preparation, at least 95% of all students in each subgroup must take the test. North Penn School District made AYP in 2011 and 2012.
|District AYP scores|
In February of 2013, the school board unanimously voted to deny approval of three applications to establish charter schools in the district. The board believed the applicants did not meet the requirements set forth by the state. The applicants appealed the board's decision by submitting a petition with more than 1,000 signatures of North Penn-area residents who support the idea of their charter school to the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas. In a hearing on June 18, Judge Thomas DelRicci ruled that the paperwork for the appeal was insufficient. According to Jack Dooley, attorney for the North Penn School District, the paperwork was insufficient because it did not contain the names of those who were proposing to operate the school and did it contain the location of the school. A second hearing before a county court judge is expected to be scheduled.
|Transparency grading process|
This website was most recently evaluated on 6 Feb 2012.
- Tax information is available.
- Board meetings are published.
- Board agendas & minutes are published.
- Board policies are published.
- Elected officials, including the Board, are published.
- Administrative officials are published.
- Bid information and assigned contracts are published.
- Audit information is published.
- Public records are available.
- Academic performance standards are published.
- Background check information is available.
- The features on the homepage, including RSS feeds and quick links, are excellent resources.
A search does not reveal results for viewing teacher contracts with the district.
- Though doing a site-specific search via Google reveals that a budget is posted online,, the website has no search function and no immediate way to find the current budget or more information on the budgetary process.
401 E Hancock St
Lansdale, PA 19446
Phone: (215) 368-0400
- North Penn School District elections (2013)
- Pennsylvania school districts
- List of school districts in Pennsylvania
- Montgomery County, Pennsylvania ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Pennsylvania
- North Penn School District, "PDE-2028 - FINAL GENERAL FUND BUDGET: Fiscal Year 07/01/2014 - 06/30/2015," accessed December 12, 2014
- "2010 Census: Quick Facts," "Montgomery County," accessed September 19, 2013"
- The New York TImes, "Election Results," accessed September 19, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- "The Bulletin Board," "Board Approves Contract Extension for Dietrich," accessed September 19, 2013
- "North Penn School District," " "School Board," accessed September 19, 2013
- North Penn School District, "North Penn School District FISCAL YEAR: 2011-12," accessed December 2, 2013
- North Penn School District, "PDE-2028 - FINAL GENERAL FUND BUDGET: Fiscal Year 07/01/2013 - 06/30/2014," accessed December 12, 2014
- "Teacher Salary Info," "North Penn School District," accessed Septmber 19, 2013
- "Pennsylvania Department of Education," "Public School Enrollment Reports," accessed September 19, 2013
- "District Home," "Select a School," accessed September 19, 2013
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, "About AYP in Pennsylvania," accessed August 6, 2013
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, "North Penn SD AYP Report Card," accessed August 21, 2013
- "The Reporter," "North Penn School Board denies charter school applications," accessed September 19, 2013
- "The Reporter," "Judge sides with NPSD in charter school case," accessed September 19, 2013
- Expected tax revenue 2012
- Board meeting schedule
- Board agendas & minutes
- Board policies
- Elected officials
- Central Office Administration
- Bid specifications
- Annual Financial Report
- Public Requests for Information
- Report/NPSD 2009-2010 Annual Report - FINAL.pdf?557775128142538Nav=|&NodeID=5491 Academic achievement (dead link)
- Background check policy (dead link)
- 2011- 2012 Budget (dead link)