Northampton County Public Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- School board meeting schedule, minutes, and agendas are available.
- Administrative and school board contact information is available.
- Academic performance information is available on the division website.
- Section K: School-Community Relations of the Northampton School Board Policy Manual includes Request for Information procedures in compliance with Virginia’s Freedom of Information Act. Section D: Fiscal Management includes information regarding audit requirements and Section G: Personnel includes hiring and evaluation procedures.
- The School Board’s financial information is included in the Northampton County Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- Budget information is not included on the division website.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- The website does not include the results of audits.
- Teacher contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
The Northampton County School Board is comprised of eight members appointed by the County’s Board of Supervisors. The Board is responsible for preparing the annual budget for submission to the Board of Supervisors.
Current School Board Members
|Kristin Holland Webb, Chairperson|
|Mickey Merritt, Vice Chairman|
|Dr. Richard Drury|
The current division superintendent is Richard Bowmaster.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
The division website does not include budget information.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Northampton County Public Schools as having a student population of 1,799 and 3 schools in the division.
Northampton County Public School Division did not make AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Kiptopeke Elementary||Pre-K –7||581||No|
|Northampton High||8 - 12||626||No|
|Occohannock Elementary||Pre-K – 7||592||No|
- Northampton County Public Schools Official Website
- Northampton County Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education Official Website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ‘Northampton County Public Schools’, BoardDocs, July 8, 2010
- ‘Northampton County Public Schools’, School Board Meetings, July 8, 2010
- ‘Northampton County Public Schools’, Staff Directory, July 6, 2010
- ‘Northampton County Public Schools’, Board Members, July 8, 2010
- ‘Northampton County Public Schools’, School Report Card, July 8, 2010
- ‘Northampton County Public Schools’, Policy Manual, July 8, 2010
- ‘Northampton County’, Comprehensive Annual Financial Report 2009, July 8, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Northampton County Public Schools, July 8, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010