Northshore School District, Washington
|Northshore School District|
|Number of schools:||32|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Julia Lacey|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in district
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the district
Bothell outperforms state averages for higher education achievement, median income and poverty rate. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (42.9%) exceeds the state average (31.4%). The 2010 U.S. Census calculated Bothell's median income at $70,935 while the state median income was $58,890. Bothell had a poverty rate of 7.3% in the 2010 U.S. Census while the state rate was 12.5%.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current Superintendent of Northshore School District is Larry Francois. He has served in the position since his appointment in March 2008. Francois previously worked for five years as the Superintendent of Lakewood School District.
The Northshore School Board is a five-member board with each member elected by district to a four-year term. Each member can be compensated $50 per day for district matters with a maximum compensation of $4,800 per year.
School board elections
Members of the Northshore School Board are elected to four-year terms on a staggered basis. Three seats were up for election on November 5, 2013 and two seats are up for election on November 3, 2015.
The Northshore School District's budget is published on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Northshore School District employed 1,115 K-12 teachers during the 2012-2013 school year. Teacher salaries are categorized based on higher education achievement, professional development and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate courses with raises at 15, 30, 45, 90 and 135 quarter credits. The current salary schedule sets higher starting salaries and maximum salaries for teachers with graduate degrees. The following table details the salary schedule for the 2012-2013 school year:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
Teachers in the district are represented in negotiations by the Northshore Education Association (NEA). The NEA is currently led by Tim Brittell.
Schools in district
The district served 19,918 K-12 students during the 2012-2013 school year. The district experienced a 2% increase in enrollment between 2008 and 2012. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2008 and 2012:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Northshore School District operates 32 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Northshore School District|
|Bear Creek Elementary|
|Bothell High School|
|Canyon Creek Elementary|
|Canyon Park Junior High|
|Cottage Lake Elementary|
|Crystal Springs Elementary|
|East Ridge Elementary|
|Frank Love Elementary|
|Hollywood Hill Elementary|
|Inglemoor High School|
|Kenmore Junior High|
|Leota Junior High|
|Maywood Hills Elementary|
|Northshore Junior High|
|Secondary Academy for Success|
|Shelton View Elementary|
|Skyview Junior High|
|Sorenson Early Childhood Center|
|Timbercrest Junior High|
|Woodinville High School|
The Washington Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction published a state report card for 2011-2012 assessing subject proficiency levels and year-to-year progress for each district. This report card relies on data from the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) and High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to determine if each district meets Annual Yearly Progress (AYP) goals in reading and math. The goal for each district is to meet proficiency goals at all grade levels and student demographics by the 2013-2014 school year.
Northshore School District met the state goal of 95% participation across all grade levels. The district did not meet AYP goals for reading at the elementary and middle school levels.
|Student Proficiency Levels, 2011-2012|
|Grade||Reading (%)||Math (%)|
Adequate Yearly Progress
|AYP Achievement, 2011-2012|
|Grade||Meet Reading AYP?||Meet Math AYP?|
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Washington school district websites
Last rated on June 14, 2012.
- Administrative Officials
- Contact information for officials can be found in the directory.
- Elected Officials
- School Board members are listed with contact information.
- Meeting dates, agendas, and minutes are available.
- 2011 audit is posted.
- Public Records
- Public records information and request form are available.
- State assessment scores are provided.
- Background Checks
- Background check policy is posted.
- Budgets are not posted.
- Bids, vendor contracts, and collective bargaining agreements are not available.
- Tax information not provided.
- Previous audits are not posted.
- Office of Superintendent of Public Education, "Student Enrollment Cohort Projections," accessed August 26, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Bothell," accessed August 26, 2013
- King County Elections, "Election Archive," accessed August 1, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Northshore School District, "Superintendent Bio," accessed August 26, 2013
- Northshore School District, "School Board," accessed August 26, 2013
- Northshore School District, "Summary of General Fund Budget," accessed December 3, 2013
- Northshore School District, "Teachers' Total Salary Schedule," accessed August 26, 2013
- Northshore Education Association, "Home," accessed August 26, 2013
- Northshore School District, "Schools," accessed August 26, 2013
- Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, "Washington State Report Card," accessed August 26, 2013
- Northshore School District, "District Departments," accessed August 26, 2013
- Northshore School District, "Electronic School Board," accessed August 26, 2013
- Northshore School District, "Annual Financial Report 2011," August 31, 2011
- Northshore School District, "Request for Public Records," accessed August 26, 2013
- Northshore School District, "2010-2011 Annual Report," accessed August 26, 2013
- Northshore School District, "Board Policy: Disclosures," accessed August 26, 2013