Norton City Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- The Norton City Public Schools 2009-2010 budget, including federal, state, and local revenue information, is available. Per pupil expenditures are also posted on the division website.
- School board agendas and dates for upcoming meetings are available.
- Academic performance information, as well as accreditation and Adequate Yearly Progress information, is available via links to the Virginia Department of Education School Report Card.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- School board meeting minutes are not posted on the division website.
- Administrative and school board contact information is not available.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- The website does not include the results of audits.
- Teacher contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
Current School Board Members
|Ron McCall, Chairman|
|Ms. Willie Price Harris, Co-Chairman|
The current division superintendent is Jeff Comer.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
The Norton City Public Schools 2009-2010 operational expenditures totaled $7,589,857. The budget includes $1,996,370 in local funds, $874,324 in federal funds, $4,716,363 in state funds, and $2,800 in other funding. Per pupil expenditures total $9,597. 2010-2011 proposed per pupil cost totals $8,732.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Norton City Public Schools as having a student population of 856 and 2 schools in the division.
Norton City Public School Division made AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|J.I. Burton High||8 - 12||322||Yes|
|Norton Elementary||Pre-K - 7||534||Yes|
- Norton City Schools Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education Official Website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ‘Norton City Public Schools’, Current Notices, July 8, 2010
- ‘Norton City Public Schools’, School Board Meeting Agenda, July 8, 2010
- ‘Norton City Public Schools’, Norton City Schools Report Card, July 8, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- ‘Norton City Public Schools’, School Board, July 8, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Norton City Public Schools, July 8, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010