Official ballot labels for June 8 propositions released
CALIFORNIA: On February 23, the California Secretary of State's office released the official ballot labels for the five ballot propositions on the June 8, 2010 ballot.
All the information released on February 23 is subject to court-ordered changes through March 15.
California voters are often accused of over-indulgence in ballot-box budgeting, but the fiscal impact estimates for the five June measures taken together apparently give fiscal hawks little to fear:
- Proposition 13: "Minor reduction in local property tax revenues related to the assessment of earthquake upgrades."
- Proposition 14: "No significant net change in state and local government costs to administer elections."
- Proposition 15: "Increased revenues (mostly from charges related to lobbyists) totaling over $6 million every four years. These funds would be spent on public financing for campaigns of Secretary of State candidates for the 2014 and 2018 elections."
- Proposition 16: "Unknown net impact on state and local government costs and revenues—unlikely to be significant in the short run—due to the measure’s uncertain effects on public electricity providers and on electricity rates."
- Proposition 17: "This measure would probably have no significant fiscal effect on state and local governments."
|Proposition 13||Taxes||Seismic retrofitting should not add to property's tax assessed value||
|Proposition 14||Elections||Top two primary vote getters move to general regardless of party affiliation||
|LRSS||Proposition 15||Elections||Public funding of politician's campaigns||
|Proposition 16||Elections||New two-thirds vote requirement for local public electricity providers||
|CISS||Proposition 17||Regulation||Discount for those who have had continuous auto insurance coverage||