Ohio Director of Agriculture
|Ohio Director of Agriculture|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$47,937,605|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the governor|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Name:||David T. Daniels|
|Assumed office:||February 16, 2012|
|Other Ohio Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
In 1845, a group of Ohio farmers came together and organized the Ohio Board of Agriculture. A year later, the Ohio General Assembly formally recognized the group, and in 1920 the name was changed to the Ohio Department of Agriculture.
No person shall be elected or appointed to any office in this state unless possessed of the qualifications of an elector.
- resident of Ohio
- a qualified elector
- at least 18 years old
The director of agriculture is appointed by, and serves as the pleasure of, the governor.
In the event of a vacancy in the office, the governor will appoint a successor.
The duties of the director and the department of agriculture have evolved over time. What started as a loosely organized group of farmers interested in starting county fairs across Ohio has become the driving force behind Ohio's rise to become one of the leading agricultural states in the country. The specific duties of the office include:
- oversee the county and state fair systems
- coordinate with local county agricultural boards
- assist farmers in increasing production and enhancing crop and livestock quality
- work to contain and eliminate diseases in both wild and domesticated animals
- inspects and monitors the safety of amusement park rides
- maintain standards and for weights and measurements, and inspect measurement devices
The department of agriculture has several divisions within the office that work together towards its mission. In addition to administrative, communications, legal, and marketing teams that handle more of the non-policy work of the department, there are 11 divisions that each handle a unique aspect of the work of the department of agriculture:
- Amusement Ride Safety
- Animal Industry
- Consumer Analytic Lab
- Food Safety
- Livestock Environmental Permitting
- Meat Inspection
- Plant Industry
- Weights and Measures
The budget for the Department of Education in Fiscal Year 2013 was $47,937,605.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Ohio Director of Agriculture has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Ohio + Director + of + Agriculture
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Ohio Department of Agriculture recognizes 103 historic farms - Ada Herald
- Unregistered dog-rescue groups operating illegally, Ohio says - Akron Beacon Journal
- Owners of dangerous wild animals in Ohio must get permits; state can seize ... - Toledo Blade
- Breaking: Ohio Senate passes ag nutrients bill - Farm and Dairy
- Tank's Meats recalls Landjaegers snack sticks - The Newark Advocate
- Ohio Beef Checkoff up for vote, would increase from $1 to $2 per head - Farm and Dairy
- Sinclair director: Much UAS use will be agricultural - Dayton Daily News
- Wild animal owners wait on court decision - Press Publications Inc.
- Tank's Meats issues voluntary recall - Fremont News Messenger
- Feds suspend NJ slaughterhouse; cruelty alleged - Press News
Ohio Department of Agriculture
8995 East Main Street
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-3399
- Governor: John Kasich (R)
- Lieutenant Governor: Mary Taylor (R)
- Attorney General: Richard Michael DeWine (R)
- Auditor of State: Dave Yost (R)
- Secretary of State: Jon Husted (R)
- Director of Agriculture: David T. Daniels
- Treasurer of State: Josh Mandel (R)
- Ohio Department of Agriculture, "About Us," accessed July 13, 2012
- OhioHistoryCentral.org, "Ohio Department of Agriculture," Accessed August 1, 2011
- Ohio Office of Budget and Management, "FY 2012-2013 - Enacted," accessed April 12, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 27, 2014
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved April 23, 2011