Ohio Director of Agriculture
|Ohio Director of Agriculture|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$47,937,605|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the governor|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Name:||David T. Daniels|
|Assumed office:||February 16, 2012|
|Other Ohio Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
In 1845, a group of Ohio farmers came together and organized the Ohio Board of Agriculture. A year later, the Ohio General Assembly formally recognized the group, and in 1920 the name was changed to the Ohio Department of Agriculture.
No person shall be elected or appointed to any office in this state unless possessed of the qualifications of an elector.
- resident of Ohio
- a qualified elector
- at least 18 years old
The director of agriculture is appointed by, and serves as the pleasure of, the governor.
In the event of a vacancy in the office, the governor will appoint a successor.
The duties of the director and the department of agriculture have evolved over time. What started as a loosely organized group of farmers interested in starting county fairs across Ohio has become the driving force behind Ohio's rise to become one of the leading agricultural states in the country. The specific duties of the office include:
- oversee the county and state fair systems
- coordinate with local county agricultural boards
- assist farmers in increasing production and enhancing crop and livestock quality
- work to contain and eliminate diseases in both wild and domesticated animals
- inspects and monitors the safety of amusement park rides
- maintain standards and for weights and measurements, and inspect measurement devices
The department of agriculture has several divisions within the office that work together towards its mission. In addition to administrative, communications, legal, and marketing teams that handle more of the non-policy work of the department, there are 11 divisions that each handle a unique aspect of the work of the department of agriculture:
- Amusement Ride Safety
- Animal Industry
- Consumer Analytic Lab
- Food Safety
- Livestock Environmental Permitting
- Meat Inspection
- Plant Industry
- Weights and Measures
The budget for the Department of Education in Fiscal Year 2013 was $47,937,605.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Ohio Director of Agriculture has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Ohio + Director + of + Agriculture
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- (Video) Brown stops at Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center to ... - Wooster Daily Record
- Amendment to agricultural lien law reinforces decision in Ohio Dept. of ... - Lexology (registration)
- Economists Toast 20 Years Of NAFTA; Critics Sit Out The Party - NPR
- Morral Companies receives top agriculture retail honor - Marion Star
- Broad coalition opposes food-stamp restrictions - Columbia Daily Herald
- Economist challenges idea of aging farmer crisis - CapitalGazette.com
- A chilly day for a hayride - Frederick News Post (subscription)
- Soldiers will celebrate holidays with Ohio trees - ThisWeekNews
- Thousand Islands tourism director criticizes economic report for downplaying ... - WatertownDailyTimes.com
- Ohio phosphorus report makes recommendations for healthier water - Farm and Dairy
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Ohio Department of Agriculture
8995 East Main Street
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-3399
- ↑ Ohio Department of Agriculture, "About Us," accessed July 13, 2012
- ↑ OhioHistoryCentral.org, "Ohio Department of Agriculture," Accessed August 1, 2011
- ↑ Ohio Office of Budget and Management, "FY 2012-2013 - Enacted," accessed April 12, 2013
- ↑ The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved April 23, 2011