Ohio Director of Insurance
|Ohio Director of insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$35,673,340|
|Term limits:||Two consecutive terms|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Chapter 3901 of the Ohio Revised Code|
|Selection Method:||Lt. Gov. serves as Director of Insurance|
|Assumed office:||January 10, 2011|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 2, 2010|
|Other Ohio Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
Chapter 3901 of the Ohio Revised Code establishes the position of director of insurance:
The superintendent of insurance shall be the chief executive officer and director of the department of insurance and shall have all the powers and perform all the duties vested in and imposed upon the department of insurance. The superintendent of insurance shall see that the laws relating to insurance are executed and enforced. When a violation of a law relating to insurance is reported to him, he shall take the testimony under oath of all persons supposed to have knowledge of such violations, and cause such testimony to be reduced to writing. If the superintendent decides that there is sufficient evidence, he shall cause the person suspected of such violation to be arrested and charged with such offense, and he shall furnish the proper prosecuting attorney with all the information obtained by such superintendent, the names of witnesses, and a copy of all material testimony taken in the case.
No person shall be elected or appointed to any office in this state unless possessed of the qualifications of an elector.
- resident of Ohio
- a qualified elector
- at least 18 years old
In Ohio, the lieutenant governor also serves as the state director of insurance. According to Article III, Section 1 of the state Constitution, the lieutenant governor in Ohio is elected every four years, in mid-term election years. For the secretary of state in Ohio, 2010, 2014, and 2018 are election years.
The lieutenant governor is limited to two successive terms of four years. An individual may seek another term in office after a period of four or more years has elapsed.
Article III, Section 18 of the state Constitution addresses vacancies in state offices. In the event of a vacancy, the governor appoints a successor to serve until the next general election in an even numbered year that occurs more than forty days after the seat becomes vacant.
The office of insurance works to protect both consumers and businesses. The director is responsible for managing the department, ensuring the state's insurance-related laws are executed and enforced. The specific duties of the director are outlined in Chapter 3901, Section 04 of the Ohio State Code:
- investigate violations of insurance law
- initiate criminal proceedings when appropriate
- investigate claims of insurance fraud
- Consumer Affairs
- Ohio Senior Health Insurance Information Program
- Market Conduct
- Agent Licensing
- Risk Assessment
- Fraud and Enforcement
- Legal Services
- Product Regulation and Actuarial Services
- Information Technology and Security
- General Services
The budget for the Department of Insurance in Fiscal Year 2013 was $35,673,340.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Ohio Director of Insurance has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Ohio + Director + of + Insurance
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Bank Director Indemnification And D&O Liability Insurance: New FDIC Advisory - Mondaq News Alerts (registration)
- Thought Healthcare.gov signed you up for Medicaid? Better think again - Columbus Dispatch
- Ohio ninth best for auto insurance rates - Dayton Business Journal (blog)
- Feds: Almost 40000 Ohioans picked health plans - NewsNet5.com
- City's health-insurance bill for workers: $152 million - Columbus Dispatch
- 40000 Ohioans among 2.2M consumers enrolled in Obamacare - Springfield News Sun
- Zoeller: Set snow procedures - Tiffin Advertiser Tribune
- Arnold Pinkney, Civil Rights Activist Who Ran Campaigns in Cleveland and ... - ideastream
- California led nation last month in health care enrollments - The Desert Sun
- Uninsured Patients Get Obamacare Pitch At California ER - ideastream
Ohio Department of Insurance
50 W. Town Street
Third Floor - Suite 300
Columbus, OH 43215
Consumer Hotline: 1-800-686-1526
Fraud Hotline: 1-800-686-1527
OSHIIP Hotline: 1-800-686-1528
TTY Number: 614-644-3745
- Ohio Department of Insurance, "Home," accessed May 24, 2013
- Ohio Office of Budget and Management, "FY 2012-2013 - Enacted," accessed April 12, 2013
- Cleveland.com, "Undefined role for Ohio's lieutenant governor often leads to double duty," April 22, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 27, 2014
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved April 23, 2011