Ohio Director of Natural Resources
|Ohio Director of Natural Resources|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$318,033,095|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the governor|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||November 15, 2011|
|Other Ohio Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
Zehringer previously served as Ohio Director of Agriculture from January 2011 to November 2011. He was also a Republican member of the Ohio House of Representatives, representing District 77 from 2007, when he was appointed, until 2010.
No person shall be elected or appointed to any office in this state unless possessed of the qualifications of an elector.
- resident of Ohio
- a qualified elector
- at least 18 years old
In the event of a vacancy in the office, the governor will appoint a successor.
The director is responsible for developing and implementing long range planning and programming for the use and development of Ohio's natural resources. Chapter 1501.01 of the Ohio State Code outlines many of the administrative powers and duties of the director. The department, as a whole, does an incredible amount of work every day in order to protect Ohio's resources:
- manages 590,000 acres of state land, including 74 state parks, 20 state forests, 133 nature preserves, and 138 wildlife areas
- manages 120,000 acres of inland waters, 7,000 miles of streams, 481 miles of the Ohio River, and 2.25 million acres of Lake Erie
- licenses hunting, fishing, and watercraft operating licenses
- oversees and monitors mineral extraction and dam safety
- maps the state's geological structures and mineral resources
- promotes recycling and litter prevention through grant programs in local communities
There are four components to the department's mission: resource management, economic development, recreation, and health and safety. Each encompasses one or more of the department's nine divisions:
- State Parks
- Natural Areas and Preserves
- Soil and Water Resources
- Recycling and Litter Prevention
- Mineral Resources Management
The budget for the Department of Natural Resources in Fiscal Year 2013 was $318,033,095.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Ohio Director of Natural Resources has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Ohio + Director + of + "Natural Resources"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources adds staff to help regulate gas/oil well ... - The Daily Jeffersonian
- Income tax checkoff program helps protect Ohio's natural resources - Kitsap Sun
- Ohio's 245 Utica shale wells producing at a rate of $1 billion a year - Akron Beacon Journal
- Bobcat, bear sightings rising in Ohio - Zanesville Times Recorder
- State regulators not finished with rules for drillers - Columbus Dispatch
- Tax deduction for wildlife support - Gallipolis Daily Tribune
- Trees to go but will be replaced - Port Clinton News Herald
- Coyote hunts in Ohio aid farmers, fire departments - Columbus Dispatch
- Tax checkoff helps support natural areas - LimaOhio.com
- Conneaut, county awaiting word on brine well permit - The Star Beacon
Ohio Department of Natural Resources
2045 Morse Road Building D
Columbus, OH 43229-6693
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources, " History and Purpose of the Department," accessed June 15, 2013
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources, "Bio of James Zehringer," accessed July 13, 2012
- Farm and Dairy, "Kasich picks Zehringer as new Ohio director of agriculture" November 16, 2010
- Chapter 1501.01 Ohio Revised Code, "Chapter 1501: DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES - GENERAL PROVISIONS," accessed June 15, 2013
- Truist.com, "Agency details: Ohio department of natural resources," March 6, 2011
- Ohio Office of Budget and Management, "FY 2012-2013 - Enacted," accessed April 12, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 27, 2014
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved April 23, 2011