Ohio House of Representatives District 84
|Ohio House of Representatives District 84|
|Current incumbent||Jim Buchy|
|Ethnicity||4.57% Black (Voting-Age), 1.09% Hispanic (Voting-Age)|
|Voting age||77.43% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 116,799 civilians reside within Ohio's eighty-fourth state house district. Ohio state representatives represent an average of 116,530 residents, as of the 2010 Census. After the 2000 Census, each member represented approximately 116,530 residents.
About the office
Article 2, Section 3 of the Ohio Constitution states: Senators and representatives shall have resided in their respective districts one year next preceding their election, unless they shall have been absent on the public business of the United States, or of this state.
Article 2, Section 5 of the Ohio Constitution states: No person hereafter convicted of an embezzlement of the public funds, shall hold any office in this state; nor shall any person, holding public money for disbursement, or otherwise, have a seat in the General Assembly, until he shall have accounted for, and paid such money into the treasury.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Ohio Legislature are paid $60,584/year during legislative sessions. Legislators receive no per diem.
- See also: State legislatures with term limits
The Ohio legislature is one of 15 state legislatures with term limits. Voters enacted the Ohio Term Limits Act in 1992. That initiative said that Ohio representatives are subject to term limits of no more than four two-year terms, or a total of eight years.
The first year that the term limits enacted in 1992 impacted the ability of incumbents to run for office was in 2000.
If there is a vacancy in the house, the seat must be filled by an election conducted by House members. Also, the election can only be conducted by the same members of the political party that hold the seat. A simple majority vote is needed in order to approve a replacement.
Elections for the office of Ohio House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on May 6, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 5, 2014. Incumbent Jim Buchy was unopposed in the Republican primary and was unchallenged in the general election.
Elections for the office of Ohio House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on March 6, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 7, 2011. Incumbent Jim Buchy (R) defeated Ron Hammons (D) in the general election. Both candidates were unopposed in the March 6 primary elections.
|Ohio House of Representatives, District 84, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Jim Buchy Incumbent||80.9%||45,927|
Since 2000, candidates for Ohio House of Representatives District 84 have raised a total of $1,137,343. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $63,186 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Ohio House of Representatives District 84|
- Ohio General Assembly
- Ohio State Senate
- Ohio House of Representatives
- Ohio state legislative districts
- www.publicmapping.org/ "Ohio 2010 Census Selected Statistics," accessed October 25, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Population Distribution and Change: 2000 to 2010," accessed January 6, 2014
- www.census.gov/, "Population in 2000 of the American states," accessed January 6, 2014
- termlimits.org, "List of state legislative term limits," accessed December 18, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Ohio Legislature, "Ohio Constitution," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Section, Article II, Section 11)
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Official primary election results for May 6, 2014," accessed July 3, 2014
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Official 2012 General Election Results,” accessed October 25, 2013
- Ohio Chamber of Commerce, "2012 General Assembly Primary Candidates," January 17, 2012