Ohio Issue 1, Mourning Dove Initiative (1998)
|Ohio Issue 1 (1998)|
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
|“|| PROPOSED LAW
Proposed by Initiative Petition To amend Sections 1531.01 and 1531.02 of the Ohio Revised Code to prohibit the hunting or taking of mourning doves in Ohio. The proposed law would:
If adopted, this law as amended would be effective on December 3, 1998.
A majority yes vote is necessary for passage.
The following reasons were given in support of Issue 1 by the Committee to Prepare Argument For Issue 1:
The following reasons were given in opposition of Issue 1 by the Committee to Prepare Argument Against Issue 1:
The organizations behind Issue One oppose using animals--for farming, medical research... even fishing, circuses and zoos! Like all social reform movements, their goal is to begin with an “easy sell,” then move on to bigger issues. The main backers of Issue One are national organizations--The Fund for Animals, New York, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PeTA), Virginia, and others. They have paid 75 percent of the costs of Issue One to date. They, not Ohioans, paid for the Arizona Firm, which used professional signature gatherers to get Issue One on the ballot.
Tell them NO. There is simply no reason to outlaw dove hunting.
Mourning doves are the most abundant game bird in America. Numbering some 500 million, more doves exist than all species of ducks and geese combined! State and federal wildlife officials tell us that hunting doesn’t impact dove numbers; there is no difference in states in which they are hunted and the few in which they are not. Tens of thousands of Ohioans and millions of Americans hunt and eat doves. One dove equals 10 large shrimp, one chicken leg, two chicken wings, 2 1/2 wieners, three sausage patties or one bratwurst.
Why, then, Is Issue One on the ballot?
The answer is in their own words. Issue One backers have said:
Issue One is the tip of the iceberg. It threatens freedoms and endangers our health and pocketbooks. Vote No on Issue 1.
- Ohio 1998 ballot measures
- 1998 ballot measures
- List of Ohio ballot measures
- List of ballot measures by year
- List of ballot measures by state
- Ohio ballot measures and election results
- A History of Statewide Issue Votes in Ohio
- Ohio November 1998 ballot measure voter guide
- Ohio Secretary of State, "1990-1999 Official Election Results," accessed July 26, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "A History of Statewide Issue Votes in Ohio," accessed July 26, 2013
- Ohio Issues Report, "State Issues Ballot Information for the November 3, 1998 General Election," Accessed July 26, 2013