The Ohio End the Direct Election of Appellate Judges Amendment
, also known as Issue 3
, appeared on the November 3, 1987 ballot
as an initiated constitutional amendment
, where it was defeated
This amendment would have ended direct election of justices and judges of the state Supreme Court
and Court of Appeals
| Ohio Issue 3 (1987)|
|Yes|| 878,685|| 35.44%|
Election results via: Ohio Secretary of State
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
|| Proposed Constitutional Amendment
To adopt Section 7 and amend Sections 6 and 13 of Article IV of the Constitution of the State of Ohio
Present Ohio law provides for the direct election of the justices of the Supreme Court and judges of the Court of Appeals. This proposed amendment would:
- Change the way Ohio selects its Supreme Court and Appeals Court judges by abolishing the direct election method.
- Create judicial nominating commissions that would nominate three persons for each vacancy on the Ohio Supreme Court or Court of Appeals. The commission would be made up half of lawyer and half of non-lawyers. Of these, no more than half can have the same political affiliation. A judicial nomination commission shall nominate the persons who in the opinion of the commission have the highest personal and professional qualifications among those available. The governor must appoint one of the nominees.
- Require persons appointed as judges to run without an opponent in a general election for retention in office in two to four years. A 55 percent “yes” vote would be required for retention for a full six-year term; less than 55 percent would create a vacancy in the office.
- Allow judges who are presently serving either by election or appointment to run in the general election when their term expires.
- Allow a majority vote of the electors in any court district to apply this procedure to their trial courts.
- Require the general assembly to enact laws to implement this amendment no later than 180 days after its effective date.
Shall the proposed amendment be adopted?