Cities in Ohio
(Redirected from Ohio cities)
Ohio allows municipal charter cities and counties. There are 88 total counties in Ohio. Of those 88:
Types of local government
Local government in Ohio consists of:
- Counties: There are 88 counties in Ohio. Two counties, Summit and Cuyahoga, operate under charters.
- Municipalities: There are 938 municipalities in Ohio. Municipalities with fewer than 5,000 residents are considered villages. Those with 5,000 or more residents are considered cities. There are 251 cities--188 operate under a charter. There are 687 villages--75 operate under a charter.
- Townships: There are 1,308 townships in Ohio. Each of Ohio's counties is subdivided into townships.
- In addition, there are 700 special districts and 668 independent school districts.
Initiative process availability
- All 66 General law cities have a mandated initiative process for ordinances.
- All 636 General law villages have a mandated initiative process for ordinances.
- All 183 Charter cities have a mandated initiative process for charter amendments.
- All 51 Charter villages have a mandated initiative process for charter amendments.
- All 86 General law counties do not have general initiative or referendum processes though Title V of the Ohio Revised Code specifies limited cases.
- All 2 Charter counties have a mandated initiative process for charter amendments.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in Ohio|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
Full list of cities
- See also: List of Ohio cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- County Commissioners' Association of Ohio, County Commissioners Handbook, Chapter 2, "County Structural Options," September 2012 (revised)
- Ohio Municipal League, "List of Municipalities," accessed September 29, 2012
- Ohio Municipal League, "Ohio Municipalities with Charters," accessed September 29, 2012
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Governments--Individual State Descriptions," accessed September 29, 2012, pg. 315
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)