Oklahoma Commissioner of Insurance
|Oklahoma Commissioner of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012 FY Budget:||$11,697,000|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Oklahoma Constitution, Article VI, Section 1|
|Assumed office:||January 10, 2011|
|Next election:||November 6, 2018|
|Last election:||November 4, 2014|
|Other Oklahoma Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is John Doak. He was first elected in November 2010 and assumed office on January 10, 2011.
Article VI, Section 1:
| A. The Executive authority of the state shall be vested in a Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, State Auditor and Inspector, Attorney General, State Treasurer, Superintendent of Public Instruction, Commissioner of Labor, Commissioner of Insurance and other officers provided by law and this Constitution, each of whom shall keep his office and public records, books and papers at the seat of government, and shall perform such duties as may be designated in this Constitution or prescribed by law.
B. The Secretary of State shall be appointed by the Governor by and with the consent of the Senate for a term of four (4) years to run concurrently with the term of the Governor.
Article VI, Section 22 of the Oklahoma Constitution establishes the qualifications of the office:
|There shall be elected by the qualified electors of the State, at the first general election, a chief officer of said department, who shall be styled "The Insurance Commissioner," whose term of office shall be four years: Provided, That the first term of the Insurance Commissioner so elected, shall expire at the time of the expiration of the term of office of the first Governor elected. Said Insurance Commissioner shall be at least twenty-five years of age and well versed in insurance matters.|
§36 302 of the Oklahoma state code further specifies that the commissioner shall be "at least twenty-five (25) years of age and a resident of the State of Oklahoma for at least five (5) years, and have had at least five (5) years' experience in the insurance industry in administration, sales, servicing or regulation. The Insurance Commissioner shall not be financially interested, directly or indirectly, in any insurer, agency or insurance transaction except as a policyholder or claimant under a policy."
- at least 25 years old.
- at least 5 years experience in the insurance industry
- a resident of Oklahoma for at least the last 5 years
- no financial interest in any insurer, agency, or insurance transaction
The Oklahoma Commissioner of Insurance is elected every years, in mid-term elections. The position is elected in 2006, 2010, 2014, and 2018.
On March 14, 2011, the Oklahoma State Senate approved a bill that would give the governor the power to appoint 7 of the 11 statewide elected officials, including the commissioner of insurance. The Senate would have to confirm all appointments. Voters will decide whether to approve the measure.
There are no term limits imposed on the officeholder.
To view the electoral history dating back to 2002 for the office of Oklahoma Commissioner of Insurance, Click [show] to expand the section.
Under Article 6, Section 13 of the state constitution, in the event of a vacancy in the office the governor appoints a person to serve until a successor is either elected or appointed and qualified by law.
The duties of the insurance commissioner are outlined in §36-307of the Oklahoma Statutes:
- responsible for the administration and enforcement of the provisions of the Oklahoma Insurance Code and of any requirements placed on an insurance company pursuant to subsection L of section 1111 of Title 47 of the Oklahoma Statutes.
- has jurisdiction over complaints against all persons engaged in the business of insurance
- hears all matters either in person, by authorized disinterested employees, or by hearing examiners appointed by the Commissioner for that purpose.
- files and safely keeps all books and papers required by law to be filed with the Insurance Department, and keeps and preserves in permanent form a full record of proceedings, including a concise statement of the conditions of such insurers and other entities reported and examined by the Department and its examiners.
- makes a report to the Governor of the State of Oklahoma of the affairs of the Office of the Insurance Commissioner
- may educate consumers and make recommendations regarding the subject of insurance in this state
- shall set forth in a statement the various sums received and disbursed by the Department, from and to whom and for what purpose.
- shall, upon retiring from office, deliver to the qualified successor all furniture, records, papers and property of the office.
- Anti-Fraud Unit
- Bail Bonds
- Consumer Assistance
- Licensing and Education
- Life and Health
- Property and Casualty
- Real Estate Appraiser Board
- Senior Health Information Counseling Program
- Senior Medicare Fraud
The budget for the Insurance Commissioner's Office in Fiscal Year 2012 was $11,697,000.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Oklahoma Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Oklahoma + Commissioner + of + Insurance
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Oklahoma Insurance Department
Five Corporate Plaza
3625 NW 56th, Suite 100
Oklahoma City, OK 73112-4511
Phone: (405) 521-2828
Toll Free: (800) 522-0071
Fax: (405) 521-6635
- Oklahoma Code, "§36 302: Insurance Commissioner," accessed September 28, 2011
- KFOR, "Okla voters could decide to expand governor's power to appoint current elected officials," March 14, 2011
- Oklahoma Statutes, "§36-307: Duties of Insurance Commissioner," accessed September 28, 2011
- Office of Management and Enterprise Services, "FY-2014 Executive Budget Historical Document," accessed April 11, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 28, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed May 14, 2011