Oklahoma Senate Bill 852 (2009)
SB 852 had the following provisions:
- Allows the initiative to be printed on 8.5 inch by 11 inch paper, in distinction to the current law which requires that sheets be 14 inches long, which makes it more difficult to distribute blank petition forms on many home printers.
- It deletes the requirement that only Oklahoma residents may circulate an initiative. (The law on the books regarding residency requirements has already been declared unconstitutional by a federal court.)
- It expands the petitioning period from 90 days to one year.
- It requires legal challenges to the initiative to be filed early in the process, instead of after all the signatures have been collected.
- It makes it illegal to harass initiative petition circulators while they are working.
SB 852 was sponsored by:
- Changes in 2009 to laws governing the initiative process
- Laws governing the initiative process in Oklahoma