Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction
|Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012 FY Budget:||$3,096,126,000|
|Term limits:||8 years|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Article VI, Section 1|
|Assumed office:||January 10, 2011|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 2, 2010|
|Other Oklahoma Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Janet Barresi. She was first elected in 2010 and assumed office on January 10, 2011.
Article VI, Section 1:
| A. The Executive authority of the state shall be vested in a Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, State Auditor and Inspector, Attorney General, State Treasurer, Superintendent of Public Instruction, Commissioner of Labor, Commissioner of Insurance and other officers provided by law and this Constitution, each of whom shall keep his office and public records, books and papers at the seat of government, and shall perform such duties as may be designated in this Constitution or prescribed by law.
B. The Secretary of State shall be appointed by the Governor by and with the consent of the Senate for a term of four (4) years to run concurrently with the term of the Governor.
Article VI, Section 3 of the Oklahoma Constitution establishes the qualifications of the office:
|No person shall be eligible to the office of Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, State Auditor and Inspector, Attorney General, State Treasurer or Superintendent of Public Instruction except a citizen of the United States of the age of not less than thirty-one (31) years and who shall have been ten (10) years next preceding his or her election, or appointment, a qualified elector of this state.|
- a citizen of the United States.
- at least 31 years old.
- a qualified elector of Oklahoma for the 10 preceding years.
The Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction is elected every years, in mid-term elections. The position is elected in 2006, 2010, 2014, and 2018.
On March 14, 2011, the Oklahoma State Senate approved a bill that would give the governor the power to appoint 7 of the 11 statewide elected officials, including the superintendent. The Senate would have to confirm all appointments. Voters will decide whether to approve the measure.
No person may serve as the Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction for more than 8 years, excluding years served for less than a full term to fill a vacancy in the office.
To view the electoral history dating back to 2002 for the office of Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction, Click [show] to expand the section.
Under Article 6, Section 13 of the state constitution, in the event of a vacancy in the office the governor appoints a person to serve until a successor is either elected or appointed and qualified by law.
Under Oklahoma statutes, the superintendent of public instruction "is responsible for giving advice and making recommendations to the State Board of Education on all matters pertaining to the policies and administration of the State Department of Education and the public school system." These duties include, but are not limited to:
- the general administration, coordination, supervision, promotion, evaluation, and improvement of educational programs
- interpreting and implementing the policies of the State Board of Education
- coordinating all divisions and supervising employees
- administering oaths and performing other duties pertinent to the public school system
- advising district superintendents of schools on questions as to the powers, duties, and functions of the school district officials
The superintendent also has a number of non-statutory duties:
- advising and counseling legislators, patrons, and local school board members regarding educational matters
- speaking at workshops, community events, and commencements in all parts of the state
- attending local, state, and national educational meetings and conferences representing the state as its chief state school officer
- conferring with representatives of the U.S. Department of Education
The superintendent serves on the following boards and commissions:
- State Board of Education, President
- State Board of Career and Technology Education, Chair
- Board of Regents for Oklahoma Colleges, Member
- State Textbook Committee, Secretary
- Teachers' Retirement System, Board of Trustees
- Oklahoma Educational Television Authority, Board Member
- Oklahoma Board of Private Vocational Schools, Member
- State Board of Equalization, Member
- Commissioners of the Land Office, Member
- Administrative Services
- Accreditation/Standards Services
- Federal Fiscal Services
- Financial Services
- Teacher Certification
- School Improvement Services
- Office of Standards and Curriculum
- Office of Innovation, Support, and Alternative Education
- Office of Accountability and Assessments
- Special Education Services
The budget for the Department of Education in Fiscal Year 2012 was $3,096,126,000.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Oklahoma + Superintendent + of + Public + Instruction
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- SQ 766 debacle is taxing - Waurikanewsdemocrat
- Tensions Rise as Indiana Schools Chief and Governor Clash Over New Agency - New York Times
- Janet Barresi to visit Bartlesville schools on Wednesday - Tulsa World
- Failing forethought - Oklahoma Gazette
- Ritz says email proposal threatens her position - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette
- Most Powerful OKC Women - Oklahoma City Friday
- School report cards cause sharp local reactions - Shawnee News Star
- Despite Opposition, State Education Officials Say Repeal of Common Core ... - Grandlakenews
- A chance to work together - Palladium-Item
- State Officials comment on the passing of Former Labor Commissioner Brenda ... - City-sentinel
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
State Department of Education
2500 North Lincoln Boulevard
Oklahoma City, OK 73105-4599
Phone: (405) 521-3301
Fax: (405) 521-6205
E-mail: Superintendent Barresi
- ↑ KFOR, "Okla voters could decide to expand governor's power to appoint current elected officials," March 14, 2011
- ↑ Article 6, Section 4, Oklahoma Constitution
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Sde.state.OK.us, "Oklahoma state department of education: Duties of the state superintendent of public instruction," accessed September 27, 2011
- ↑ Office of Management and Enterprise Services, "FY-2014 Executive Budget Historical Document," accessed April 11, 2013
- ↑ The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved May 14, 2011