Olathe Public Schools USD 233, Kansas
|Olathe Public Schools USD 233|
|Number of schools:||47|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||LeEtta Felter|
About the districtJohnson County, Kansas. The county seat of Johnson County is Olathe. Johnson County is home to 566,933 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau.
Johnson County outperformed the rest of Kansas in terms of higher education achievement in 2013. The United States Census Bureau found that 51.7 percent of Johnson County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 30.3 percent for Kansas as a whole. The median household income in Johnson County was $74,717 compared to $51,332 for the state of Kansas. The poverty rate in Johnson County was 6.5 percent compared to 13.7 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
The superintendent of Olathe Public Schools is Marlin Berry. Serving as superintendent since 2010, Berry was named as superintendent of the year by the Kansas School Superintendents' Association in 2013. Berry first joined the district in 2007 as assistant superintendent. He graduated from Topeka West High School, earned a bachelor’s degree and Ed.D. in education policy and administration at the University of Kansas and master's in education administration from Emporia State University.
Olathe Public Schools are overseen by a seven-member board elected to four-year terms.
|Olathe Board of Education|
|Member||District||Assumed Office||Term Ends|
School board elections
Members of the Olathe Board of Education are elected to four-year terms. Elections are held every odd-numbered year. Four years are up for election in 2015 and three seats are up for election in 2017.
Public participation in board meetings
The Olathe Board of Education maintains the following policy on public testimony during board meetings:
The general public shall be invited to attend all board meetings, except executive sessions. K.S.A. 72-8205
At each meeting of the board, the president or the presiding officer of the board shall welcome all visitors to the board meeting.
The primary role of a Board of Education is to transact the business of the school district. The board recognizes its responsibility for proper governance, and therefore the need to conduct its business in an orderly and efficient manner. The board therefore establishes the following procedures to receive input from the public:
If it appears that the matter which the speaker(s) wished the board to consider will consume an amount of time the board feels cannot be spared at said meeting, the board may invite such speaker(s) to return to a future meeting.
—Olathe Public School District 233 website, (2014), 
The table below displays the budget for Olathe Public School:
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
- Kansas school districts
- List of school districts in Kansas
- Kansas school board elections, 2015
- School board elections portal
- Olathe Public Schools USD 233
- Olathe NEA
- Kansas National Education Association
- Olathe, Kansas
- Johnson County, Kansas
- Kansas Department of Education
- Kansas Association of School Boards
- Olathe Public Schools, "District Highlights," accessed December 29, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Olathe," accessed December 29, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Johnson County, Kansas," accessed December 30, 2014
- Johnson County Election Office, "Election History by Year," accessed December 30, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Kansas School Superintendents Association, "Olathe’s Marlin Berry Named 2013 Kansas Superintendent of the Year," accessed December 30, 2014
- Olathe Public Schools, "Meet Our Board Of Education," accessed December 30, 2014
- Johnson County Election Office, "Olathe USD #233 Board of Education," accessed December 30, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Olathe Public School District 233, "Active Board Policies," accessed December 30, 2014
- Olathe Public Schools USD 233, "District Overview," accessed December 9, 2013