Old Bridge Township Public Schools elections (2013)
|General Election date:|
Method of election
What was at stake?
Old Bridge Township Public Schools
Three seats were up for election on the Old Bridge Township Board of Education. Annette Tunyla-Hopman, Nancy M. Mongon and Balwinder Singh defeated four challengers to win election to the board on November 5, 2013.
About the district
Old Bridge Township lagged behind state rates of higher education achievement but outperformed the state averages for median income and poverty in 2010. The township had a poverty rate of 2.9% in the 2010 U.S. Census while the state rate was 9.4%. The 2010 U.S. Census calculated Old Bridge Township's median income at $95,188 while the state median income was $71,180. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (33.5%) is below the state average (35%).
|Racial Demographics, 2010|
|Race||Old Bridge Township (%)||New Jersey (%)|
|Black or African American||4.4||13.7|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||0.2||0.3|
|Two or More Races||2.2||2.7|
|Hispanic or Latino||11||17.7|
Method of board member selection
The Old Bridge Township Board of Education consists of nine members elected at-large to three-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Three seats are up for election each year.
Candidates for the Board of Education must be 18 years old, reside within the district and submit nominating petitions to the county clerk by the filing deadline. The district moved board elections from the third Tuesday of April to the first Tuesday of November after a 2012 state law provided greater flexibility for local election officials.
- Jeffrey Dynof
- Attending Rutgers University
- Tutor, Old Bridge Township Public Schools
- Andrew Gonzalez
- Graduate, Middlesex County College and Rutgers University
- ESL teacher, Newark Public Schools
- Annette Tunyla-Hopman
- Former board member, 2000-2012
- Senior care professional, Roosevelt Care Center
- David Josselyn
- Former board member, 2007-2010
- Owner, Josselyn Innovations LLC
- Nancy M. Mongon
- Graduate, Jersey City State College
- Former board secretary
- Mark Palehonki
- Owner, M.T.V. Driving School
- Balwinder Singh
- Facilities manager
|Old Bridge Township Board of Education, At-large General election, 3-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Nancy M. Mongon||18.1%||3,593|
|Nonpartisan||Andrew Gonzalez Incumbent||10.9%||2,179|
|Source: Middlesex County, "Election Results," November 12, 2013|
No contributions or expenditures were reported during the election, according to the New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission.
|Old Bridge Township Board of Education, At-large General election, 3-year term, 2012, 2012|
|Nonpartisan||Kevin G. Borsilli||15.6%||3,932|
What was at stake?
Andrew Gonzalez was the only incumbent to appear on the ballot even though he resigned from the board on August 21, 2013. His name remained on the ballot because the withdrawal took place after the creation of a final candidates list. Fellow members Eugene Donofrio and Fred Colabella did not seek re-election in 2013.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Old Bridge Township Board of Education election in 2013:
|June 4, 2013||Last day for filing nominating petitions in school board elections|
|June 10, 2013||Last day to challenge nominating petitions in school board elections|
|August 12, 2013||County clerk draws ballot positions for candidates|
|September 6, 2013||Last day for candidates to withdraw from genera election ballot|
|November 5, 2013||General election|
|December 3, 2013||Certification of election results by Board of State Canvassers|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Old Bridge Township Board of Education elections shared the ballot with other local and state elections. Residents of Old Bridge Township submitted ballots for Sheriff, Board of Chosen Freeholders and the Township Council. The ballot included races for Governor as well as seats in the New Jersey State Assembly and New Jersey State Senate. Voters also decided on proposed constitutional amendments that would establish cost of living adjustments for the state minimum wage and use gaming profits for veterans' organizations.
- New Jersey
- Old Bridge Township Public Schools, New Jersey
- Middlesex County, New Jersey ballot measures
- 2010 U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Old Bridge Township," Accessed November 20, 2013
- NJ.com, "Scores of N.J. school districts moving elections from April to November," February 26, 2012
- New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission, "Standard Search," Accessed December 20, 2013
- NJ.com, "Old Bridge School Board President Andrew Gonzalez resigns to join Teach For America," August 21, 2013
- Greater Media Newspapers, "Seven will vie for three seats on Old Bridge school board," July 11, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "2013 General Election Timeline," Accessed October 21, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "2013 Election Information," Accessed October 21, 2013