For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Open seats in the 2007 state legislative elections
|2007 Competitiveness Overview|
| Primary competition (state comparison) |
|Major party challengers (state comparison)|
|Open seats (state comparisons)|
| Competitiveness Index • Absolute Index|
• Comparisons Between Years
|2007 State Legislative Elections|
|Competitiveness Studies from Other Years|
|2009 • 2010 • 2011|
There were 578 state legislative districts, in 4 states, with a seat up for election on November 6, 2007 that were studied. We took a look at each of the 4 states to see how many state legislative incumbents chose to run for re-election in 2007.
Our main findings:
- In 137 (23.7%) of the 578 seats up for election on November 6, the incumbent did not run for re-election, either because he or she voluntarily chose not to run again, or because of term limits.
- In 441 (76.3%) of the 578 seats up for election on November 6, the incumbent ran for re-election.
- Virginia had the lowest ratio of open seats; that is, it has the highest ratio of incumbents running for re-election.
- The state with the highest ratio of open seats was Louisiana.
The score that states received based on their ratio of open seats is one of 3 factors used in evaluating which states have the highest, and which the lowest, overall competitiveness in the 2007 state legislative elections.
States compared by open seats
The state that is least competitive as defined by the percentage of its seats where the incumbent did not run for re-election in 2007 is defined as #4, while the state that is most competitive as defined by the percentage of its seats where the incumbent did not run for re-election is defined as #1; that is, 1 = "most competitive", 4 = "least competitive".
|State||Senate at stake||Open senate||House at stake||Open house||Total open||% open||Open seats rank||Overall competitive rank|
- State legislative elections, 2007
- 2007 state legislative elections analyzed using a Competitiveness Index
- Incumbents with no primary challenger in the 2007 state legislative elections
- Major party candidates with no major party challengers in the November 2007 state legislative elections