Oregon 1972 ballot measures
- Eleven of the measures were legislatively-referred constitutional amendments.
- Two of the measures were veto referendums.
- One of the measures was an initiated state statute.
- Two of the measures were initiated constitutional amendments.
- Seven of the measures were approved and nine were defeated.
On the ballot
|VR||Measure 1||Taxes||Increases the tax on cigarettes from four cents to nine cents per package|
|Measure 1||Suffrage||Removes the literacy requirement for voting and lowers the voting age in Oregon|
|Measure 2||Admin of Gov't||Repeals the state’s decennial census|
|Measure 3||Legislature||Allows the legislature to call for a special legislative session|
|Measure 4||Bonds||Authorizes bonds for state capital construction projects|
|Measure 5||Bonds||Authorizes bonds for irrigation and water development projects|
|VR||Measure 6||Taxes||Institutes a vehicle registration tax|
|Measure 1||Admin of Gov't||Repeals the geographic requirements for state institutions|
|Measure 2||Law Enforcement||Permits the qualifications for the office of county sheriff to be defined by the legislature|
|Measure 3||Gov't Finances||County purchase and lease limitations|
|Measure 4||Religion||Disallows the legislature to establish or prohibit any religion and removes a provision prohibiting public money for religious institutions|
|Measure 5||Trials||Permits juries to be composed of less than twelve jurors, but not less than six|
|Measure 6||Veterans||Liberalizes requirements for veterans’ loans for those who served in the military during certain years and provides eligibility to spouses whose partners were killed, missing in action or prisoners of war|
|CISS||Measure 7||Pension||Repeals the retirement fund for the office of Governor|
|Measure 8||State Exec||Modifies the gubernatorial line of succession|
|Measure 9||Taxes||Prohibits the levy of property taxes to pay for the operating expenses of educational institutions|
- Oregon Blue Book Initiative, Referendum and Recall: 1972-1978
- State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet January 1972
- State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet November 1972