Oregon Commissioner of Insurance
|Commissioner of Oregon Administrator of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2011-2013 FY Budget:||$21,522,442|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services|
|Name:||Laura N. Cali|
|Assumed office:||July 15, 2013|
|Other Commissioner of Oregon Executive Offices|
|Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Laura N. Cali. She took office on July 15, 2013. Former commissioner Louis Savage announced in June 2013 that he would be leaving office to work abroad for legal reform in emerging democracies.
The Oregon Commissioner of Insurance's powers, term of office, etc. are derived from Title 52A, Article 705 of the Oregon Revised Statutes. The office falls under the preview of the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services. The director can appoint someone to insurance commissioner to oversee these matters, or the director can fulfill the duties him or herself.
Article 705, Section 105.5:
| 705.105 Department of Consumer and Business Services; director; qualifications; confirmation; Insurance Commissioner; bond or letter of credit; seal.[...]
According to the Oregon Revised Statutes Title 52A, Article 705, Section 115.2, division directors in the Department of Consumer and Business Services must "be well qualified by technical training and experience in the functions the appointee is to perform."
The commissioner is appointed by the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services with the approval of the Governor. The commissioner serves at the pleasure of the director.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Oregon Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The missions of the insurance division is to "administer the Insurance Code for the protection of the insurance-buying public while supporting a positive business climate." The department works to this end by:
- licensing insurance companies and monitoring their solvency
- reviewing insurance products and premium rates for compliance.
- licensing insurance producers and consultants.
- resolving consumer complaints.
- investigating and penalizing companies and producers for violations of insurance law.
- monitoring the marketplace conduct of insurers and producers.
- educating the public about insurance issues.
- advocating reforms that protect the insurance-buying public.
- Consumer Advocacy
- Producer Licensing
- Market Surveillance
- Rates and Forms
- Financial Regulation
The budget for the Insurance Division in Fiscal Year 2011-2013 was $21,522,442.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Oregon Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Oregon + Administrator + of + Insurance
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Deaconess, Valley hospitals ready for nurses' strike - The Spokesman Review
- New leadership at AFSCME Local 88 - Nwlaborpress
- Oregon looks into why tornado sirens were silent - Press Publications Inc.
- Thousands of Oregon inmates to gain health insurance as they exit prison - CorrectionsOne
- Kapowich Vacates Position Atop PEBB; To Leave OEBB Nov. 30 - The Lund Report
- Are Portland Public School teachers being left behind while administrators see ... - PolitiFact
- Obamacare Deadline May Not Offer Expected Answers: Q&A - Bloomberg
- State and School Employees Slim Down - The Lund Report
- State Insurance Regulators Consider Transitional Health Insurance Policy - Bloomberg BNA
- Health law clock is ticking for sickest patients - The Macomb Daily
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Oregon Department of Insurance
350 Winter St NE
Salem, OR 97301-3883
Phone: (503) 947-7980
- ↑ Portland Business Journal, "Lou Savage to leave Oregon Insurance Division's top job," June 11, 2013, accessed August 3, 2013
- ↑ Oregon Revised Statutes, "Title 52A, Article 705, Section 105.5," accessed August 3, 2013
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Oregon Revised Statutes, "Title 52A, Article 705, Section 115.2
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Insurance.Oregon.gov, "Insurance division organizations," accessed September 29, 2011
- ↑ Oregon Legislative Fiscal Office, "Analysis in the 2011-13 Legislatively Adopted Budget," accessed April 10, 2013