Oregon Challenge Federal Selection of Nuclear Waste Repositories, Measure 1 (May 1987)
The Oregon Challenge Federal Selection of Nuclear Waste Repositories Act, also known as Measure 1, was on the May 19, 1987 ballot in Oregon as a legislatively-referred state statute, where it was approved. The measure directed state officials and agencies to continue challenging the federal selection process for high-level nuclear waste repositories and to seek a greater state role in the process.
|Oregon Measure 1 (May 1987)|
Election results via: Oregon Blue Book
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
1. STATE ROLE IN SELECTION OF HIGH-LEVEL NUCLEAR WASTE REPOSITORY SITE
QUESTION: Shall state officials continue challenges to federal selection process for high-level nuclear waste repositories and seek greater role for Oregon?
PURPOSE: Directs state officials and agencies to continue activities to challenge federal selection process for high-level nuclear waste repositories. Directs state officials and agencies to seek status for Oregon that would allow Oregon a greater role in the process of selecting high-level radioactive waste repository.
ESTIMATE OF FINANCIAL EFFECT: The annual cost for legal fees anticipated in complying with the provisions of this measure would be approximately $500,000.
NO □ 
- Governor Neil Goldschmidt (D)
- U.S. Senator Mark Hatfield (R)
- U.S. Representative Les AuCoin (D-1)
- State Senator Jan Wyers (D)
- State Senator Bill Bradbury (D)
- State Senator Joyce Cohen (D)
- State Senator Jane Cease (D)
- State Senator Joan Dukes (D)
- State Representative Shirley Gold (D)
- State Representative Mike McCracken (D)
- State Representative Ron Cease (D)
- State Representative Nancy Peterson (D)
- State Representative Wayne Fawbush (D)
- State Representative Verner Anderson (R)
- State Representative Judith Bauman (D)
- Don’t Waste Oregon Committee
- Citizens Interested in Bull Run, Inc.
- The Oregon Committee to Stop Hanford
- Oregon Coalition to Stop Food Irradiation
- Citizens Utility Board of Oregon
- No opponents submitted arguments to the Oregon State Voters' Guide.
- Oregon 1987 ballot measures
- 1987 ballot measures
- List of Oregon ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Oregon
- Oregon Blue Book Initiative, Referendum and Recall: 1980-1987
- Oregon State Constitution
- State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet May 1987
- Oregon State Library, "State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet," accessed December 4, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.