Oregon Director of Agriculture
|Oregon Director of Agriculture|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2011-2013 FY Budget:||$83,855,689|
|Authority:||Oregon Statutes, Chapter 561.010|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||February 2003|
|Other Oregon Executive Offices|
|Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Katy Coba.
The office of Oregon Director of Agriculture is established in Chapter 561 of the Oregon Statutes.
Chapter 561.010: Department created; director, appointment, confirmation and term
|There is created a department of the government of this state to be known as the State Department of Agriculture. The executive officer of the department shall be the Director of Agriculture who shall execute all matters pertaining to the department, subject to policy direction by the State Board of Agriculture. The director shall be appointed by the Governor, subject to confirmation by the Senate in the manner provided in ORS 171.562 and 171.565, and shall serve during the pleasure of the Governor.|
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the requirements necessary to qualify for a state executive office. That information for the Oregon Director of Agriculture has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
In the event of a vacancy in the office, the governor shall appoint a successor.
The Oregon Department of Agriculture has three inter-related parts of its mission: food safety and consumer protection; protecting the natural resource base; and marketing agricultural products. In addition, the director has specific duties laid out in the Oregon Statutes:
- The State Department of Agriculture shall have full responsibility and authority for all the inspectional, regulatory and market development work provided for under the provisions of all statutes which the department is empowered and directed to enforce.
- The department shall encourage and work toward long-range planning to develop and promote the agricultural resources of Oregon that they may contribute as greatly as possible to the future economy of the state.
- The Director of Agriculture shall coordinate any activities of the department related to a watershed enhancement project approved by the Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board under ORS 541.375 with activities of other cooperating state and federal agencies participating in the project.
- The Director of Agriculture shall conduct any activities of the department in a manner consistent with the goal set forth in ORS 468B.155.
- Administration and Information
- Agricultural Development
- Animal Health & Identification
- Commodity Inspection
- Food Safety
- Laboratory Services
- Measurement Standards
- Natural Resources
The budget for the Department of Agriculture in Fiscal Year 2011-2013 was $83,855,689.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Oregon Director of Agriculture has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Oregon + Director + of + Agriculture
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Raw milk producer sues Oregon Department of Agriculture over advertising ban - OregonLive.com
- Program reducing pesticide detection in Oregon watersheds - Capital Press
- Oregon agriculture officials place restrictions on pesticides implicated in ... - OregonLive.com
- Crab start date set - Coos Bay World
- Court spells out law on farm activities - Capital Press
- Targeting Salmonella, USDA comes out with an action plan - OregonLive.com
- Root rot threatens traditional Christmas fir trees - Daily Local News
- FDA: Idaho noted yeast in yogurt before recall - Northwest Cable News
- Water quality pilot project encouraging, Coba says - Capital Press
- Judge: Strong case 'hot goods' settlements made under duress - Capital Press
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Oregon Department of Agriculture
635 Capitol St. NE
Salem, OR 97301-2532
Phone: (503) 986-4550
Fax: (503) 986-4747
- ↑ Oregon Statutes, "561.010: Department created; director, appointment, confirmation and term," accessed September 29, 2011
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Oregon.gov/ODA, "About us," accessed September 29, 2011
- ↑ Oregon Legislative Fiscal Office, "Analysis in the 2011-13 Legislatively Adopted Budget," accessed April 10, 2013