Oregon Gubernatorial primary 2014 preview
|May 20, 2014 Election Preview|
By Garrett Fortin
The 2014 Oregon primary elections are being held on May 20, 2014. There is one statewide executive office involved: Governor. The race has contested Democratic and Republican primaries, along with one unopposed Constitution Party candidate. In all, there are nine candidates in three primaries.
The eight candidates for the two contested primaries are:
Democratic Primary - Governor
Republican Primary - Governor
Below, Ballotpedia has put together a preview of those upcoming elections.
- See also: Oregon gubernatorial election, 2014
In the Democratic primary, incumbent Gov. John Kitzhaber faces unknown challenger Ifeanyichukwu Diru, who filed at the last minute and has not campaigned. Kitzhaber's main challenge will come in November, when he will face the Republican nominee.
The Republican field was thought to have been settled back in January, when Dennis Richardson and Gordon Challstrom were the only contenders but four more candidates had joined by the end of the filing deadline day. Richardson is still thought to be the leader in the field: firms polling the Oregon Gubernatorial race have asked about hypothetical match-ups between Richardson and Kitzhaber but no other match-ups.
Still, with no public primary polling, this race could be uncertain for some time on election night. The only unopposed candidate is the Constitution Party's Aaron Auer.
- Oregon elections, 2014
- Oregon state executive elections (overview):
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Oregon Live, "Oregon Rep. Dennis Richardson announces run for governor," July 24, 2013
- Oregon Secretary of State, "Candidate Information," January 10, 2014
- The Oregonian, "Portland businessman becomes latest to join growing group of Republican candidates for governor," January 14, 2014
- The Statesman-Journal, "A complete list of primary election races for the city, county and state," March 12, 2014