Oregon Protect Religious Freedom Initiative (2014)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
An Oregon Protect Religious Freedom Initiative did not make the November 4, 2014 statewide ballot in Oregon as an initiated state statute. The measure would have protected the religious freedoms of people and businesses who do not believe in same-sex marriage from participating in such ceremonies.
Text of measure
The official ballot title issued for the initiative is available here.
The full text of the legislation proposed by this initiative is available here.
The initiative was proposed by Friends of Religious Freedom.
Path to the ballot
Supporters needed to collect 87,213 valid signatures by July 3, 2013 in order to land the initiative on the ballot. The chief petitioners for this initiative were Teresa Harke and Sherrie Sprenger.
- Deseret News, "Oregon religious freedom group counters gay marriage ballot proposal," November 27, 2013
- Portland Tribune, "Group that led charge against gay marriage changes tack," November 21, 2013
- The Oregonian, "Gay marriage: Backers of exemption to serving gay weddings drop their initiative," May 9, 2014
- Reuters, "Gay-marriage debate takes new twist in Oregon: religious exemption," February 2, 2014
- Oregon Secretary of State, "Initiative 52 details," accessed March 23, 2014
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |