Oregon Repeal Election of Superintendent of Public Instruction, Measure 1 (1980)
The Oregon Repeal Election of Superintendent of Public Instruction Amendment, also known as Measure 1, was on the November 4, 1980 ballot in Oregon as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment, where it was defeated. The measure would have repealed the electability of the Superintendent of Public Instruction and, in lieu, provided that the governor appoint someone to that position, subject to confirmation by the Senate.
|Oregon Measure 1 (1980)|
Election results via: Oregon Blue Book
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
1. REPEAL OF CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISION REQUIRING ELECTED SUPERINTENDENT OF PUBLIC INSTRUCTION
PURPOSE - This measure proposes repeal of section 1, Article VIII of the Oregon Constitution, which states that the Governor shall be Superintendent of Public Instruction but that a law may be passed requiring the Superintendent to be elected. Such a law exists. If this measure passes, Oregon Laws 1979, chapter 713 will also go into effect, which will require the Superintendent of Public Instruction to be appointed by the Governor subject to confirmation by the Senate.
NO □ 
- Oregon 1980 ballot measures
- 1980 ballot measures
- List of Oregon ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Oregon
- Blue Book Initiative, Referendum and Recall: 1980-1987
- Oregon State Constitution
- State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet November 1980
- Oregon State Library, "State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet," accessed December 9, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |