Oregon Revoke Governor’s Authority to Ban Sexual Orientation Discrimination, Measure 8 (1988)
The Oregon Revoke Governor’s Authority to Ban Sexual Orientation Discrimination Act, also known as Measure 8, was on the November 8, 1988 ballot in Oregon as an initiated state statute, where it was approved. The measure revoked the governor’s authority to ban discrimination based on sexual orientation in state executive department employment and services.
|Oregon Measure 8 (1988)|
Election results via: Oregon Blue Book
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
8. REVOKES BAN ON SEXUAL ORIENTATION DISCRIMINATION IN STATE EXECUTIVE BRANCH
EXPLANATION - Enacts new law. Revokes Governor's order which bans discrimination, based on sexual orientation, both in executive branch employment and in carrying out executive branch duties within state government. Measure provides that no state official shall forbid taking personnel action against a state employe because of the employe's sexual orientation. Measure permits state officials to forbid taking personnel actions against state employes based on nonjob related factors. For the purposes of this measure, sexual orientation means heterosexuality, homosexuality, or bisexuality.
NO □ 
- Oregon 1988 ballot measures
- 1988 ballot measures
- List of Oregon ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Oregon
- Blue Book Initiative, Referendum and Recall: 1988-1995
- Oregon State Constitution
- State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet November 1988
- Oregon State Library, "State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet," accessed December 11, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |