Oregon Right of Chinese to Own Real Estate and Mining Claims, Measure 4 (1946)
The Oregon Right of Chinese to Own Real Estate and Mining Claims Amendment, also known as Measure 4, was on the November 5, 1946 ballot in Oregon as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment, where it was approved. The measure granted people of Chinese ethnicity the ability to hold real estate and mining claims by repealing constitutional language that prohibited them from doing so.
|Oregon Measure 4 (1946)|
Election results via: Oregon Blue Book
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
Referred to the People by the Legislative Assembly
BILL AUTHORIZING CHINAMEN TO HOLD REAL ESTATE AND MINING CLAIMS - Purpose: To repeal section 8 of Article XV of the Oregon constitution, which prohibits any Chinaman who was not a resident of the state at the adoption of the constitution from every holding any read estate or mining claim or working any mining claim in this state, which repeal will permit Chinamen to hold real estate and work mining claims.
306. Yes. I vote for the proposed amendment.
307. No. I vote against the proposed amendment.
- Oregon 1946 ballot measures
- 1946 ballot measures
- List of Oregon ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Oregon
- Oregon Blue Book Initiative, Referendum and Recall: 1938-1947
- Oregon State Constitution
- State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet 1946
- Oregon State Library, "State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet," accessed November 19, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |