Oregon State Legislative Salaries, Measure 4 (1940)
The Oregon State Legislative Salaries Amendment, also known as Measure 4, was on the November 5, 1940 ballot in Oregon as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment, where it was defeated. The measure would have fixed legislatures’ pay at $8 per day while in regular session or extra session, refunded legislatures 10 cents per every mile travelled to and from the capital and gave presiding offers an additional one-half daily pay.
|Oregon Measure 4 (1940)|
Election results via: Oregon Blue Book
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
Referred to the People by the Legislative Assembly
LEGISLATORS' COMPENSATION CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT - Purpose: Fixing legislature members' pay at $8 a day while in regular session and for not more than 50 days; while in extra session, $8 a day, no extra session to be longer than 20 days; members also to receive 10 cents per mile travelled to and from meeting place; presiding officers to receive one-half daily pay additional; such compensation being instead of that now received which is: $3 a day but not over $120 for any session, no extra session being over 20 days, and $3 for every 20 miles traveled; presiding officers receiving two-thirds daily pay additional.
306. Yes. I vote for the proposed amendment.
307. No. I vote against the proposed amendment.
- Oregon 1940 ballot measures
- 1940 ballot measures
- List of Oregon ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Oregon
- Oregon Blue Book Initiative, Referendum and Recall: 1938-1947
- Oregon State Constitution
- State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet 1940
- Oregon State Library, "State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet," accessed November 19, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |