Oregon State Lottery Profits for Economic Development, Measure 4 (1984)
The Oregon State Lottery Profits for Economic Development Amendment, also known as Measure 4, was on the November 6, 1984 ballot in Oregon as an initiated constitutional amendment, where it was approved. The measure established a lottery commission to organize and operate a state lottery and required profits from such lottery to be used for economic development.
|Oregon Measure 4 (1984)|
Election results via: Oregon Blue Book
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
4. CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT ESTABLISHES STATE LOTTERY, COMMISSION; PROFITS FOR ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
EXPLANATION - Constitutional amendment establishes state lottery and lottery commission to operate games other than bingo, parimutuel racing or social gaming. Bans casinos. Profits to be used to create jobs, for economic development. Requires 50% of proceeds to be paid in prizes. Limits expenses to 16%. Requires legislature to lend $1,800,000 to fund initial costs, repaid from profits. If this and other constitutional initiative(s) authorizing lottery pass, only measure with most votes takes effect.
ESTIMATE OF FINANCIAL EFFECT - Passage of this measure will increase total annual general fund revenue approximately $30 to $110 million. At least 84 percent of this revenue will be used for prizes, economic development, and job creation programs. The remaining revenue, up to 16 percent, will pay administrative costs. $1.8 million of general fund money will be used to start the lottery. Within one year, this loan plus 10 percent interest will be repaid to the general fund from lottery ticket sales.
NO □ 
- Oregon 1984 ballot measures
- 1984 ballot measures
- List of Oregon ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Oregon
- Oregon Blue Book Initiative, Referendum and Recall: 1980-1987
- Oregon State Constitution
- State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet November 1984
- Oregon State Library, "State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet," accessed December 10, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |