For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Oregon Tax on Malt Beverages and Cigarettes for Athletic Fund, Measure 5 (1988)
The Oregon Tax on Malt Beverages and Cigarettes for Athletic Fund Act, also known as Measure 5, was on the November 8, 1988 ballot in Oregon as an initiated state statute, where it was defeated. The measure would have increased taxes on malt beverages and cigarettes in order to finance an Intercollegiate Athletic Fund.
|Oregon Measure 5 (1988)|
Election results via: Oregon Blue Book
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
5. FINANCES INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETIC FUND BY INCREASING MALT BEVERAGE, CIGARETTE TAXES
EXPLANATION - Amends Oregon statutes. Increases malt beverage (beer, ale, etc.) tax by 10 cents per gallon. Prohibits further increases in malt beverage tax until after December 1999. Increases cigarette tax by one cent per 20 cigarette package. Money from increased taxes goes into new Intercollegiate Athletic Fund to assist sports programs, profitable or not, at state colleges, universities. State Board of Higher Education divides Fund money based on athletic conferences in which schools compete, and schools' efforts to get private help for sports programs.
ESTIMATE OF FINANCIAL EFFECT - The increase in the tax rate on beer and other malt beverages would raise an estimated $6.0 million next year for the Intercollegiate Athletic Fund. The increase in the tax rate on cigarettes would raise an estimated $2.8 million next year for the Intercollegiate Athletic Fund.
NO □ 
- Oregon 1988 ballot measures
- 1988 ballot measures
- List of Oregon ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Oregon
- Blue Book Initiative, Referendum and Recall: 1988-1995
- Oregon State Constitution
- State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet November 1988
- Oregon State Library, "State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet," accessed December 11, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |