Oregon Voters' Literacy Requirement, Measure 1 (1924)
The Oregon Voters' Literacy Requirement Amendment, also known as Measure 1, was on the November 4, 1924 ballot in Oregon as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment, where it was approved. The measure required that constituents be able to read and write in English to vote in elections.
|Oregon Measure 1 (1924)|
Election results via: Oregon Blue Book
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
Constitutional Amendment - Referred to the People by the Legislative Assembly
Submitted by the Legislature - VOTERS LITERACY AMENDMENT - Purpose: To amend section 2 of article II of the constitution by adding to the qualifications of voters the requirement that they shall be able to read and write the English language and authorizing the means of testing the ability of such citizens to read and write the English language to be provided by law; also ratifying any act passed pursuant to and in accordance with this amendment.
Path to the ballot
- Oregon 1924 ballot measures
- 1924 ballot measures
- List of Oregon ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Oregon
- Oregon Blue Book Initiative, Referendum and Recall: 1922-1928
- Oregon State Constitution
- State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet 1924
- Oregon State Library, "State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet," accessed November 13, 2013
- Oregon Blue Book, "Oregon State Constitution," accessed November 13, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |