Organizing for Action
|Organizing for Action|
|Executive Director:||Jon Carson|
|Affiliated with:||Barack Obama|
Organizing for Action (OFA) is a nonprofit group that supports President Obama's agenda. According to their website: "Organizing for Action is a nonprofit organization established to move forward the national agenda Americans voted for on Election Day 2012. OFA advocates for these policies throughout the country and mobilizes citizens of all parties and diverse backgrounds to speak out for passage and effective implementation of these policies, including gun violence prevention, sensible environmental policies to address climate change and immigration reform among others.
In addition, OFA encourages the formation of chapters that will be dedicated at the grassroots level to this program, but also committed to identifying and working progressive change on a range of issues at the state and local level. In carrying out its work, OFA operates as a "social welfare" organization within the meaning of section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code."
Jim Messina, former Obama for America campaign manager, is the chairman of OFA. Jon Carson serves as executive director.
OFA lists the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Create the first-ever EPA limits on how much carbon pollution U.S. power plants can create."
- Gun violence prevention
- Excerpt: "Most gun owners use their guns legally and responsibly, and the President strongly believes in an individual right to bear arms, but we need to take action to better protect our children and communities from tragic mass shootings like the one in Newtown, Connecticut."
- Excerpt: "Free preventive care, including check-ups and vaccinations."
- Excerpt: " We need to fix America’s broken immigration system, to grow our economy and give undocumented youth and their families the chance to earn their citizenship."
- Jobs and the economy
- Excerpt: "Building an economy that creates more good paying jobs in the fast-growing industries for hard-working Americans."
- Stand with women
- Excerpt: " We stand with women by fighting for economic security, protecting access to health care and supporting women’s leadership across the country. "
In August of 2013, OFA launched their "Action August" month. According to executive director Jon Carson, "August is a rare month where constituents can change the conversation in their communities while knowing that their representative is home in their district. It is an organizing opportunity that OFA will be leading." Activities included petition circulations, letters to the editor, advocacy events and visits to congressional members in their home offices.
As a nonprofit group, OFA is not required to disclose its donors. However, it discloses all donors who contribute $250 or more.
In the first quarter of 2014, OFA raised $4.9 million dollars. In the second quarter, OFA raised $8.2 million. Fred Eychaner, president of the Chicago-based Newsweb Corp., and David Shaw, co-founder of D.E. Shaw, a New York investment management firm, each donated $500,000 in the second quarter. Amy Goldman, a philanthropist and author, contributed $250,000 in the second quarter.
Third quarter donations total $7.7 million for OFA, bringing total yearly donations to nearly $21 million. The top donor in the third quarter was Anne Getty Earhart, who contributed $150,000.
According to OFA, the year-to-date average donation is $55.16.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Organizing + for + Action"
- All stories may not be relevant to this organization due to the nature of the search engine.
- Organizing for Action "About OFA," accessed December 4, 2013
- The Washington Post, "Obama campaign to become nonprofit, Organizing for Action," January 18, 2013
- OFA, "Issues:Climate," accessed December 4, 2013
- OFA, "Issues:Gun reform," accessed December 4, 2013
- OFA, "Issues:Healthcare," accessed December 4, 2013
- OFA, "Issues:Immigration," accessed December 4, 2013
- OFA, "Issues:Economy," accessed December 4, 2013
- OFA, "Issues:Women," accessed December 4, 2013
- Politico "OFA launches centralized Action August website," Accessed July 31, 2013
- Wall Street Journal "Fundraising Picks Up for Pro-Obama Group OFA," Accessed July 31, 2013
- OpenSecrets.org, "Organizing for Action Chalks Up $7.7 Million in Third Quarter," October 21, 2013