Orinda Union School District parcel tax, Measure B (March 2009)
The Measure B tax is $124 per parcel.
There was already a parcel tax of $385 in force in the district at the time of the vote on Measure B which had been approved in 2003. The approval of Measure B meant that the total parcel tax went to $509 per-parcel/per-year.
The vote by the Orinda Unified School District Board of Trustees to put Measure B on the ballot was unanimous. The members of the Board of Trustees at the time were Riki Sorenson, Pamela West, Pat Rudebusch, Matt Moran, and Jack Bontemps.
The parcel tax at Orinda Union was the highest of any school district in Contra Costa County as of 2009. The board of trustees told a reporter in early February that regardless of the outcome of the vote on Measure B, the district would have to make cuts because of the state budget crunch.
A 2/3rds supermajority vote was required for approval.
- These final election results are from the Contra Costa County election office.
The question on the ballot:
|Measure B: "To provide secure local funding for all Orinda K-8 students; reduce the impact of state budget cuts; maintain small class sizes and neighborhood schools; attract and retain skilled, qualified teachers with competitive compensation and training; and protect classroom programs and strong core academics, shall the Orinda Union School District be authorized to levy a parcel tax of $124 per year per parcel, with citizen oversight, no funds used for administrators’ salaries, and every dollar staying in Orinda Union School District?"|
- Parcel tax measure on March ballot
- Orinda school district website
- Orinda schools budget overview for 2008-2009
- Downloadable information about Measure B
- Text of ballot question
- Yes on B, a website in support of Measure B
- Editorial: Orinda residents should support Measure B
- "Contra Costa Elections Division - March 3, 2009 Special Election" March 3, 2009
- Lamorinda Weekly, "Orinda School District Proposes Parcel Tax for March Ballot," November 12, 2008
- Oakland Tribune, "Orinda school board seeks parcel-tax increase," November 17, 2008
- Contra Costa Times, "Orinda schools preparing for cuts, hoping for parcel tax increase," February 6, 2009
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.