|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 55|
|November 29, 2013-Present|
|January 3, 2016|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|High school||Rosa A. Temple High School|
|Date of birth||July 30, 1953|
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Denton served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Workforce Development|
|• Youth and Family Affairs|
Elections for the office of Mississippi House of Representatives will take place in 2015. A primary election will be held on August 4, 2015, and the general election November 3, 2015. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 27, 2015.
Denton won election in the special election for Mississippi House of Representatives District 55. The seat was vacant following George Flaggs, Jr.'s (D) election as Mayor of Vicksburg. Denton defeated Chris Green, Andrew W. Harrell, Marie Thompson and Joseph E. Williams, Jr. in the special election, which took place on November 5, 2013.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from January 7 through April 2.
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee: Legislator "Business and Jobs" Report Card
- Legislators are scored on "economic growth, jobs and other broad job-related issues."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Oscar + Denton + Mississippi + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mississippi State Legislature
- Mississippi House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Joint Committees
- Mississippi state legislative districts
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2015 Elections Calendar," accessed December 2, 2014
- blogs.clarionledger.com, "Bryant sets date for three House special elections," July 22, 2013
- sos.ms.gov, "Official candidate list," accessed October 8, 2013
- tribtown.com, "Runoffs for 2 Mississippi House seats; Deaton wins Vicksburg-based House post," November 6, 2013
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "Official special election results," accessed February 21, 2014
- StateScape, "Session Schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee, "Legislator 'Business & Jobs' Report Card - 2014 Legislative Session," accessed August 30, 2014
George Flaggs, Jr. (D)
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 55
| Succeeded by|
State of Mississippi
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce | Executive Director of Environmental Quality | Executive Director of Employment Security | Chairman of Public Service Commission |